Fumidil B

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outlander

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
12 14x12 hives. 2 standard nationals and 8 14x12 nucs.
Fumidil B. Is it Illegal to use now? I know you can't buy it any more but if you had some could you still use it. Oh and has anyone got the instruction leaflet they could scan and send me.

If you have any then it will probably be past the expiry date now but if it has been kept in cool place will probably be just as effective.
Directions for dose, mixing up and feeding are on the Cushman site

Cushman site, thank you MasterBK

I have some, Outlander, and it's still in date, if you still want the dosage :)

Thank you Luminos, that would be great if you could let me have that info.

It not illegal to use or for suppliers to sell if they still have stock left.

I have some, Outlander, and it's still in date, if you still want the dosage :)

same, the batch i have goes out of date 1/2013, so still legal to use

basically it is the Rothamsted version on the leaflet.

take 1/3rd of the 25g powder and dissovle in 7 pnts of warm water then add 14lbs of sugar

That makes about 1 gallon of feed syrup.....feed to your bees

i vary that as i use ambrosia syrup

i take 1/3rd of the 25g vial and mix it with 50g of icing sugar, then in a pestle and morter add a little Amrosia thick syrup and mix until it is a cream like paste

i add that to a two gallon empty jerry can and top up to one gallon with ambrosia syrup...and shake like bloooody 'ell
then then feed that fumdil laced syrup to my bees

remember that the fumidal B powder is a class two rpoduct and that you should wear a mask while mixing ( farmer's lung etc)

Last edited:
Fumidil dosage etc

Here it is...I hope :rolleyes:

Thank you both Luminos and Muswell, both your instructions talk about a vial at 25g. Mine is in a tub, so if I take a desert spoonful of the powder and mix with water and sugar as stated that should be enough to treat one hive.

1 tsp would be about 5g, 1dsp is 10g, 1 tbsp is 15g if that helps.

Thank you both Luminos and Muswell, both your instructions talk about a vial at 25g. Mine is in a tub, so if I take a desert spoonful of the powder and mix with water and sugar as stated that should be enough to treat one hive.

yes, a desert spoonfull should give you the required 166mg dose of the active ingrediant

dose varies from country to country...from 100mg to 200mg per hive..Cananda seems to be the strongest dose

if you search on the internet you can still buy it........ only found it in the small tubs though.

Most kitchen scales will measure to the nearest gramme. I put it in an old jar with water, shake it and then pour it into the syrup as it doesn't stir in too well.

The large tub SHOULD have instructions under the lid, above the press-fit internal lid thing.

Volume does NOT = weight. Does a cubic metre of feathers = a cubic metre of steel?

Weigh it please we are talking medicines here not sawdust.

The bees would prefer some thought into their well being. ;)

PH

Fumidil B isn't illegal. The licence for distribution s a medecine for bees was withdrawn because it was considered that beekeepers were not to be trusted with an antibiotic. The last batch available in the UK has a sell by date of March 2013 it will be alright for 6 months after that, but beyond then it would be deliterious. There is talk that it is available from sources outside the UK. The import would, of course, be illegal.

Latest posts

Back