Frames & foundations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know everyone likes KBS wax but in my experience, it is so nice as my bees chew it and pull it to pieces!

Bog standard Thornes for me.

Whilst we're on the subject...what's the difference between wax conversion and wax swap? And which is the better value...if any? They both sounded the same in the Thornes brochure, yet with different calculations!

Having read this it prompted me to get some 14 x 12 foundation and I quickly checked 4 suppliers and went with CWJ and saved myself £20.......well nearly as I re-invested some of it in a Yellow queen pen :drool5:
Pete D

Conversion:

X lbs wax yields X lbs foundation. for which you pay a sum for processing and wiring.

Swap:

X lbs wax yields Y lbs foundation. no cash paid. NB: X>Y.

or you can just cash in wax:

X lbs wax = £A store credit or £B cash (where A=2*B).

The wax conversion option has historically always been much better value than the straight swop.

Buying the 10kg blocks of wax from thornes and then instead of them sending it to you ....get them to do the conversion for foundation,cheaper than just buying the foundation.

HM is right - just done the calculation!

10kg beeswax turned into 176 sheets of wired national brood = £111

176 sheets of standard brood =£151
176 sheets of premier brood = £180

so either £40 or £69 cheaper!!!!!

i make my own frames deep ones work out at about 25cent

Redwood if you are in this awkward position there may well be others locally who are too. Try and find them and build a little group to bulk buy thus sharing the delivery costs. Win win?

PH

My society orders bulk fondant but I make my own

HM is right - just done the calculation!

10kg beeswax turned into 176 sheets of wired national brood = £111

176 sheets of standard brood =£151
176 sheets of premier brood = £180

so either £40 or £69 cheaper!!!!!

Even better if you wire your own foundation or frames,so only need the unwired foundation. And buying 30kg of wax gets the cheaper conversion rate,plus free postage.

Find a cheap source of timber, so buy as wood, and make your own? Seems you have the necessary equipment.

I'm going to give it a go this summer but at the moment I'm building hives and nucs ready for a new apiary and have lots of seeds to plant, and the grass needs cutting, fences needs painting, and the house, where do I get the time to work !!!

Sorry Redwood you either missed my point or you are a lone furrow type.

Best wishes

PH

Sorry Redwood you either missed my point or you are a lone furrow type.

Best wishes

PH

Sorry I did misread your thread, Good Idea power in numbers, I have tried this before with another hobby and you get the late payers, promises, and let downs, perhaps beekeepers are more honest and committed, I'm not the lone furrow type, but I do get a bit defensive when other beekeepers want to come and have a look at my hives because I like to keep them in a secret apiary to avoid theft and contamination as they have no varroa, perhaps a little cautious for most, Almost had a heart attach when the bee inspector wanted to come and have a look but he was a very nice man and was happy with me and my bees, I did however get him to sign a secrecy act form lol

That is a big claim not having any varroa as most bees in the area have them.

Well I do my mite drop count and even look at the debris under a microscope and my bee inspector could not see any.

Latest posts

Back