Frames disaster - help!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floss

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just been to feed and quickly check my swarm from last week and was greeted first by lots of lovely bees but then saw that the foundation has come away fromthe frame under the weight of the bees and tore as I tried to have a look. The whole thing is frankly a mess. They are desperately trying to build brace comb.

Now I am in a total panic:

1.how can the bees sustain themselve if the queen has nowhere to lay?

2. I have no more foundation or spare brood frames - should I buy some asap?

3. If I replace the foundation won't that upset them even more or will they just repair it?? :(

4. Is there anything I can do to help these poor bees out of my mess?

Floss

Is your foundation wired?
Your problem sounds unusual.

Just been to feed and quickly check my swarm from last week and was greeted first by lots of lovely bees but then saw that the foundation has come away fromthe frame under the weight of the bees and tore as I tried to have a look. The whole thing is frankly a mess. They are desperately trying to build brace comb.

Now I am in a total panic:

1.how can the bees sustain themselve if the queen has nowhere to lay?

2. I have no more foundation or spare brood frames - should I buy some asap?

3. If I replace the foundation won't that upset them even more or will they just repair it?? :(

4. Is there anything I can do to help these poor bees out of my mess?

Floss

Firstly don't panic :svengo:.
How many frames has this happened to ?
Secondly, do you have any shallow frames ?.
If so pop a couple in, the queen can commence laying, the bees (swarm) will have bees of the correct age to produce wax efficiently :).
They will draw comb below the shallow frames, down to the level of the surrounding deep ones with ease.
Remember when bees swarm naturally ,they manage to set up home , draw comb and get on with life without our assistance .
You have ample time to accrue some frames and foundation to allow the swarm to expand in due course .

Welcome to the trials and tribulations of bee keeping :grouphug:.

JohnWilkinson

Many thanks guys!

yes Jon, it is wired and the frames were put together by a competent DIYer!

john, it appears to have happened to several of the frames. I do have some shallow frames (I assume you mean from a super) wired with fresh foundation. Will the same problem not happen again?

So I should get some more frames/ foundation and replace?

It shouldn't,
I wonder if the hive has enough ventilation?
That degree of buckling is usually down to over heating !.
Yes I do mean wired super frames :).

John Wilkinson

It was a large swarm (supposidly from my other hive but now we are not so sure as that hive seems very full still). I will pop some of the super frames in tomorrow am and get some replacements then. I have put a temp feeder in tonight so the "eke" should allow for extra ventilation if that is the problem.

Trials and tribulations you say? I am bouncing between elation, fascination and being a nervous wreck!! I know the bees know what they are doing but I do not wish to do them any harm you see...phew! Only been a newbee beek for 6/52 you see....

Any chance of a picture or two Floss ?
Members will be able to see straight away what the problem is then.

I suspect that when nailing in the wedge that the nails did not go through the three loops of wire. Which is important for the above reasons.

Try and relax, the bees will manage. go with John's eminently sensible suggestion which I have to say I hadn't considered. Doh!

PH

feeling calmer after 2 glasses of vino de blanco...! thank you all for your replies.

I will try a photo tomorrow admin. have spoken to the expert DIYer who has taken on your comment Polyhive so hopefully all will be well!

Deep breaths....!

And is there anyone living near you who could mentor you through... It was a great support for me - stopped sleepless nights of... Did I harm... is she still there...helpppppp.... Maybe identify a little more your whereabouts:)

Just a quick thank you to members who gave me advice and support last week during my frame "disaster"...!

I have taken your advice (incl talking to local bee keepers who have offered support, tx heather), re framed and the bee's are sorting it out and drawing the new foundation very nicely.

I very much appreciate the calm and practical advice and support you have been able to give me since joining this forum!

Floss

Latest posts

Back