frame of honey for show

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burren

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 nationals/ 3 apideas
How perfect does a frame of sealed honey for show have to be??? Does every single cell have to be capped, including corners or is it more than the cappings have to have a lovely uniform white colour? I have one frame that I think might do for saving as I am just about to spin a few other frames and it will go in the extractor if not 100% good enough, thanks all

Well, the ones I saw at the Essex show yesterday (and they may not all have been there) were very good.
Tends to be entered by experienced beekeepers with an eye out for a lovely frame, so no surprises there.
Doubt there would be many in any case and you've go to be in it to win it.

Thanks, psa f.

:smash:c mon guys, i know it is dinner time, should I spin or not. There is a single line of empty cells down both edges on both sides and between 6-12 empty corner cells on bottom corners, so I know it nots perfect, but not seen a show yet, so not sure how perfect it perfectly should be! If there should be no empty cells at all, then I will have my answer:)

Last edited:
To be honest that's borderline however it the others are worse....

PH

I have visited the Honey Show a few times and if I ever decided to enter I have thought a full frame of honey will be a way to go as I know I have had better frames than the ones entered. They are never perfect and a few open cells, I don’t think it’s the only judging criteria.

Post a photo & let them take a look at it

:smash:c mon guys, i know it is dinner time, should I spin or not. There is a single line of empty cells down both edges on both sides and between 6-12 empty corner cells on bottom corners, so I know it nots perfect, but not seen a show yet, so not sure how perfect it perfectly should be! If there should be no empty cells at all, then I will have my answer:)

Do it. It won't cost you a fortune and you may get some useful feedback.

Many thanks all for the replies....... I am going to try and enter it. I will post how I get on.
;)

Visited National honey show last year with John Narramore who won Frame for extraction class. 99% full and sealed using drone foundation. It is not just the filled/sealed comb that is judged. John spent a whole day using a cloth and supermarket Vodka to clean propolis off the woodwork. Result was excellent. Some of the other entries I would have hesitated to even extract. Have a go it can only be a learning experience.

hold it up to a strong light bulb and look through it. See if it is uniform in colour with no dark patches, indicating different sources of honey, and that there is no pollen stored in it. The whiter the capping the better and it should not be stained yellow with the traffic of bee feet. The more cells that are filled the better.Clean off the frames as best you can, and the newer the frame the better, Dont let any of the scrapings fall into the empty cells.They should look something like these.

Peter Bashford came to judge our association honey show and pointed out amongst other things, that the lugs should be clean.

show honey

Here is a sample of some of the frames presented for the dublin honey show

As a show judge I can tell you as little about the judging procedure

First the Judge checks to see the exhibit meets the rules laid down in the schedule
Then looks at both sides of the comb through the glass sides of the comb show case
– Is the comb flat and drawn beyond the wood making for easy uncapping?
– capped completely, capping all the same sort (all drone or all worker; not a mixture of both) ?
– Is the comb damaged and weeping ?
Judge then takes the frame out of the case and checks
– the cleanliness of the frame
– the degree of travel staining of the capping
– for the smell of fermentation (or mice?)
– Any evidence of Braula, wax moth larvae , earwigs or their excreta.
Judge then shines torch through the comb to see any cells of pollen, granulated honey, if the honey is all of one colour or if any “glued on” cappings on empty cells (a form of cheating!). If the frame is for extraction by centrifuge then it should also be wired to prevent risk of collapse in the extractor

Judge uses a glass rod to extract sample of honey from a cell at the edge of the comb to check that the Bees have not been sugar fed, the Honey not fermented and assess the quality of the honey.

Finally the judge identifies the order of the winners to the steward

To prepare for a comb class requires forward planning. Make up some new frames and fit with foundation . Some beekeepers wipe a thin smear of vaseline on the lugs, top bar and outside of the side bars (this reduces the amount of propolis and burr comb built on the woodwork) Consult your hive records and choose colonies that build comb well (corner to corner and straight) with nice white raised cappings and insert the combs in the super during a heavy honeyflow (but not Oil Seed Rape as it granulates on the comb) so that the comb is filled and capped quickly with all the same type of honey. Once completely capped remove combs to prevent bees eating it back and adding honey of different colour, travel staining etc. The selected comb must be protected from physical damage, robbing by bees and wasps, infestation by wax moth and from granulation of the honey (The comb may have been capped by the bees in June but the show might be in November). .On removal from the hive, the frame should be carefully handled while you clean up the woodwork of burr comb wax and propolis and then seal in an air tight container and place in the freezer for at least 24 hours. This prevents wax moth eggs from hatching into larvae and spoiling the exhibit. Storing for longer periods in the freezer also stops the honey in the comb from granulating. 24 hours before the show remove the container from the freezer so that the comb can defrost completely before removing from the air-tight container .
Read the schedule and make sure your comb exhibit is
• of the correct size
• Exhibited in a suitably bee-tight protective show case glazed on both sides allowing the judge to see both sides of the comb. The case should be without lacing or decorative edging
• The case should be easily opened so that the judge can remove the frame from the case for closer examination
• The class label should be on the case in the designated place eg right hand top corner

Last edited:
Thanks all for your great assistance and Keith especially for the lovely pics:)

Back