Frame needing replacement

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluebell1985

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've got a frame of brood that's become a little unstable. I think it had stores in it and during an inspection the comb seemed to come away, at both sides, from the frame.

If I was to hold it horizontally I'm sure the comb would fall out to the floor.

What's the best way to replace this without losing what's inside? Currently brood.

Work it out to the side of the hive. If I get a frame like that I lift it up and look at one side then turn it round without moving it horizontally. Just have to be careful. If it’s really unstable you could try an elastic band round the bottom but bees tend to remove these.

Work it out to the side of the hive. If I get a frame like that I lift it up and look at one side then turn it round without moving it horizontally. Just have to be careful. If it’s really unstable you could try an elastic band round the bottom but bees tend to remove these.

Thanks very much.

I have, going on gut instinct, moved it towards the end of the brood box. Once it's empty of brood I'll just replace the whole frame.

I've got a frame of brood that's become a little unstable. I think it had stores in it and during an inspection the comb seemed to come away, at both sides, from the frame.

If I was to hold it horizontally I'm sure the comb would fall out to the floor.

What's the best way to replace this without losing what's inside? Currently brood.
On occasion if the comb itself is really good I have put thin plastic coated tying garden wire on the bench long enough to go right around the frame - 3 of them . Then lay the duff frame flat on top of it and cut round the edge of the comb and take the frame off it. Assuming that you have a new frame of the same size slip that over the cut out comb and fold the wire over the whole thing and twist the ends together. Pop it back in the hive and in a couple of days the bees will have it stuck in place. You can then remove the wire. You may lose a little brood but it works well. If the comb itself is rubbish get it to the edge and ditch it when the brood is all out.

Thanks very much.

I have, going on gut instinct, moved it towards the end of the brood box. Once it's empty of brood I'll just replace the whole frame.

its basically trial and error in my experience...i move such frames to the edge or the UBB of a demaree with the intention of losing them when empty...then they get filled with stores which makes it worse...sometimes repaired altogether...i have one where the comb is now at a pretty acute angle within the frame and it seems the strongest of all with the repairs the bees have done

also find a few where the end of the frame (the lug bit) has broken, which makes lifting in an out tough and try to make it survive until brood emerges (and before stores)

Latest posts

Back