Frame Making for Basic Assessment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeno

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
Just made up 5 Hoffman self-spacing frames in preparation for Basic Assessment and to go into my new nuc. What a fiddly and precise business it is! Does anyone know if there is a set time within which one is expected to assemble the frame? If a set time is not available, what would a reasonable time be? I take it that it may be possible to fail this part of the exam, by for instance putting a nail through the top bar! The answer required is not how quickly you can do it - for the more competitive forum members!

When I did mine a few years ago there was no set time for any section.
Examiner did not concentrate too much on this part of the exam.
Focus was more on disease knowledge and how I performed when inspecting the bees.
Mind you, he was an RBI.

Last edited:
The basic should be a reasonably gentle affair.

Its about being able to do something, not how quickly. if you can use a hammer and hold brads to drive into the wood you will be fine. Not aware there is a time limit, but I guess if you fluff many aspects it may cause the assessor to think twice perhaps.

If I read right some did in fact fail, perhaps there ones who do not have the benefit of an association behind them to guide them. or perhaps overly ambitious.

good luck.

Hi
don't worry about how quickly you can make a frame up in a particular way, I very much doubt you would be failed on your frame making. My understanding is the basic is more about encouraging good beekeeping practices and as long as your disease, pest and swam control knowledge is up to speed you'll be fine. I wasn't even asked to put a frame together so for all they know I might use sellotape and bluetac!
I've no doubt you will be fine, bon courage.
Sarah

Also nail foundation wedge from the side rather than into the top bar nail in the vicinity of the wire . Nailing down into the top bar usually results in the frame nail protruding through top bar and creating a snagging point when scraping brace comb off with hive tool! Very annoying .
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I did mine a few years ago there was no set time for any section.
Examiner did not concentrate too much on this part of the exam.
Focus was more on disease knowledge and how I performed when inspecting the bees.
Mind you, he was an RBI.

I love RBIs. If in doubt when it comes to disease control 'I phone you' would be the correct answer then!;)

I put 10 nails per frame + fails

Electrict nailer helps alot

Nowadays I assemble them with polyurethane glue. When it hardens in 15 minutes, then I put the nails.
A bunch of vertical sticks into palm, a little bit glue to the ends and then I put sticks together on floor.

electric-nailer--stapler-cmf32-763.jpg

Last edited:
Also nail foundation wedge from the side rather than into the top bar nail in the vicinity of the wire . Nailing down into the top bar usually results in the frame nail protruding through top bar and creating a snagging point when scraping brace comb off with hive tool! Very annoying .
VM

Good point VM I always nail from the wedge, but i don't know whether they would insist on nailing diagonally from the leading corner of the wedge towards the far inner corner (this does avoid the point sticking out of the top but is a real fiddle) bit like the insisting on using matches to light the smoker because 'that's how it was done in the old queen's time, but I digress.

VM

Hi VM,
Did nail from side, but still manage to get nail just protruding through the top bar on my first attempt!

No time limit (within reason!)

Remember to include bent-nail-removing-stuff on your toolbox checklist!
It is the final result (11 nails in the right places, frame square and not twisted) that counts.
Hint for the exam - have some components that you have previously fettled and checked for fit! And take some spares - I had a sheet of foundation blow away (should have practiced outdoors in an equivalent gale!)

No requirement in these parts to use matches to light the smoker. But the lighting 'technique' was watched and (I believe) scored. However the main thing is that it stays alight. Worth investing a fiver for a kilo of Thorn's smoker pellets.

Use the Stanley knife with an 'away from you' stroke when separating part sawn wedge . Elf' n ' safety an all that :)
Vm

Hi Finman,
I would not suggest letting a novice frame assembler lose with a electric nail gun! DISASTER. It is something to think of for the future though for people who aspire to have hundreds of hives.

No time limit (within reason!)

Remember to include bent-nail-removing-stuff on your toolbox checklist!
It is the final result (11 nails in the right places, frame square and not twisted) that counts.
Hint for the exam - have some components that you have previously fettled and checked for fit! And take some spares - I had a sheet of foundation blow away (should have practiced outdoors in an equivalent gale!)

No requirement in these parts to use matches to light the smoker. But the lighting 'technique' was watched and (I believe) scored. However the main thing is that it stays alight. Worth investing a fiver for a kilo of Thorn's smoker pellets.

Hi Itma,
Got that covered + set square + pencil + Stanley knife and I have got the Lidle kitchen blow torch (but not tested yet). The debris left from cutting away the wedge from the top bar takes me the longest! What work surface did you have to work on as I am best standing up?

If you find the nails are splitting the wood turn the nails up side down and hit the end with your hammer to flatten the nail tip

Assemble them with disassembly in mind for a few years later. Wedge comes out easier if nailed straight down with frame on its side. At my Basic mine was just glanced at to ensure it looked OK. Once you've done a few hundred you get quite quick at them!

... The debris left from cutting away the wedge from the top bar takes me the longest! What work surface did you have to work on as I am best standing up?

IIRC, a folding table and no chair. I prefer to assemble frames sitting at a table!
I took along my old IKEA shelf (sten?) with the gap between the planks that nicely accommodates the Hoffman wedge shape.
As O.StJ says, you will speed up after you've done a few. I now prefer to assemble all the main wood, before starting nailing. But that's just me.

I use a hive tool (bent end) to split out the wedge neatly.
And a wickedly-hooked Stanley blade then tidies the topbar. (The wedge doesn't usually need trimming, if you rotate it and assemble so any 'flash' is away from the topbar and snug against the foundation.
But again, that's just me.

Back