Frame Grips...any good?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quigs

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Being a noob and still not brave enough to take off my leather gloves, Im having a bit of trouble placing the frames back in position without the fingers of the gloves getting caught underneath, resulting in the frame being replaced with a bit of 'thud'!

Is it worth investing in a frame grip or is it just another piece of equipment I never really need? :confused:

just move your hands in a bit when replacing frames so you are not holding the frame lugs

Being a noob and still not brave enough to take off my leather gloves, Im having a bit of trouble placing the frames back in position without the fingers of the gloves getting caught underneath, resulting in the frame being replaced with a bit of 'thud'!

Is it worth investing in a frame grip or is it just another piece of equipment I never really need? :confused:

I find the rubbery snap of an overstretched Marigold finger really irritating. Goodness knows what the bees think. I've been wondering about frame grips too!

just move your hands in a bit when replacing frames so you are not holding the frame lugs

I still find the gloves too thick to comfortably fit between frames. I'll give it a few more tries!

i use them they are ok for me i wear thick gloves and bought the grips for that reason helps me put the frames back easier as i can see under both lugs because my hand and the frame grips are in the middle,you just have to be carefull to make sure you get a good grip but they do seem to fit snuggly on the frame

Just had a closer look at them and I see you have to squeeze to create the grip. I thought it was the other way around where you would squeeze to open the grips...if you see what I mean?

How easy are the frames to replace gently when your constantly having to sqeeze?

I thought they were squeeze to open I have some in garage I have never used

Thats the type I would prefer to use..makes more sense!

Not using any at present, but they have stayed under the roof of a particularly propolis-mad hive before now. They are a b*tch when you lose a spring, but I recently bought a box of various springs, so maybe not such a problem in the future. They have a use in some instances, but certainly not at th*rne prices.

i did but as i was putting the frame back i heard the horrible crunch followed sharply by the sting of her sister,but i never thought of moving my hands when putting the frames back so i could see i just opted for the whimpy version thicker gloves and frame grips,but this was when i first got my colony,never tried nitrile gloves though a few people say they are ok but i have little confidence in thin gloves even though the sting didnt really hurt or swell but hey thats just me,everyone is different

try marigolds they are a bit thicker but loads more feel than leather. I only use leather if the bees are evil.

they were a good idea when i broke my thumb and the splint got in the way and i probably would use them if remembered to take them with me

I've never seen frame grips but I would think that 'squeeze to open' types would need a heck of a strong spring to keep them closed without risk of a heavy frame dropping out. 'Squeeze to close' lets you vary that pressure.

sqeeze to grip is better as you know you have a grip if you are relying on the spring for the grip when the spring gets tired(starts to stretch) slip angry buzz ouch

Fair point on the spring....Tried the marigolds but found my hands sweat too much. I'll perservere a little longer or get braver and do as my mentor does....no gloves.

they work on a cross over action with small springs to keep them open which fall off all the time i your tool box

Fair point on the spring....Tried the marigolds but found my hands sweat too much. I'll perservere a little longer or get braver and do as my mentor does....no gloves.

you can get flock lined marigolds they dont make your hands sweat so much

thanks veg i may try marigolds

Latest posts

Back