Foundation?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HM Honey

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I know this is probably a daft question but is Th"@#es foundation, made from proper bees wax?

What I mean is that, is it pure or does it have things added?

Not sure but have used thiers, pains and also Kemble and found that they liked the last one best.

I know this is probably a daft question but is Th"@#es foundation, made from proper bees wax?

What I mean is that, is it pure or does it have things added?

Their best organic foundation they assured me is pure organically produced beeswax ... they weren't as forthcoming on their cheaper versions ... from a previous post (that I can't find) someone suggested that paraffin wax was added to some foundation wax but that this was not a bad thing ?

Can't see it myself ... I bought the organic stuff to melt down and use as a starter on my foundationless frames ... I know where the wax on them has come from and what's in it !

Not sure but have used thiers ... and also Kemble and found that they liked the last one best.

:iagree:

Foundation from KBS was much better received than from Th0rnes, smelled nicer too.

This year the T's "Premier" that I've bought has looked very different from last years. And not in a more attractive way.

I suspect that much depends on the quality of what they get traded-in to them.

Again, I suspect that the trade-in is mainly used by large-scale operators with more wax than they fancy playing with or can be bothered trying to sell as polish.
Since those same larger operators are also more likely to be using things like Coumaphos (Euro cascade isn't any sense for the "3 hive owner"), I've started worrying (just slightly) about residues.
AFAIK, there has never been any research done on residues in UK foundation.
It'd be nice to know.

"Organic" foundation is a bit of a luxury nonsense for the most part - or should be!
One exception is that I would happily buy 'Thin, Unwired, BS Shallow' foundation in the organic grade - as I'd like to have the best possible wax for my cut comb.
Unfortunately, T's see the demand as being for organic ONLY in wired spec. :confused:

When I made hives ect I also supplied foundation and frames as some customers especially new beekeepers liked complete hives ready to go. The best foundation was from KBS and consistently good. But through a third party I had a good deal with Thornes perhaps, 30% discount but their foundation varied, sometimes good and sometimes just awful.

It would be interesting if someone was to test the foundation available in the uk but for me I am extremely happy I have stopped using it altogether. I think its good for the bees and good for my pocket.

This year the T's "Premier" that I've bought has looked very different from last years. And not in a more attractive way.

I suspect that much depends on the quality of what they get traded-in to them.

Again, I suspect that the trade-in is mainly used by large-scale operators with more wax than they fancy playing with or can be bothered trying to sell as polish.
Since those same larger operators are also more likely to be using things like Coumaphos (Euro cascade isn't any sense for the "3 hive owner"), I've started worrying (just slightly) about residues.
AFAIK, there has never been any research done on residues in UK foundation.
It'd be nice to know.

"Organic" foundation is a bit of a luxury nonsense for the most part - or should be!
One exception is that I would happily buy 'Thin, Unwired, BS Shallow' foundation in the organic grade - as I'd like to have the best possible wax for my cut comb.
Unfortunately, T's see the demand as being for organic ONLY in wired spec. :confused:

I take it yours also had a green tinge...

I prefer KBS, but mid summer could not wait...

Yes ... when I bought the organic foundation it was about £8.50 for 10 sheets of wired shallow BS ... but, as I was going foundationless and had reservations about the potential contaminants (disease and chemical), I just wanted some really good wax to give the bees a start on my frames. I was melting it down and brushing it onto the timber starter strips and I figured it was worth it. I only used one piece of the foundation to do all 20 of my frames so I've got enough wax left for this purpose for the foreseeable future.

It does worry me that there appears to be inconsistency in the foundation being sold (and recylced) - I wonder how much quality control goes into the process of reconstituting wax into foundation and where the origins of the wax was ? As I said in an earlier post Thornes were unable to give me any assurances about anything other than their organic quality foundation (guaranteed from organic bee farmers in New Zealand) - the other two quality grades have fairly ambiguous product descriptions. I have to say that the sheets are a lovely colour and have a good aroma as well - you can tell the difference between this and the other stuff.

Last edited:
although infective organisms (ie AFB) will get killed during the processing of wax it has been shown that pollutants/contaminants/drug residues survive and so increase with every cycle.

IIRC Ron Hoskins has a TBH at his association apiary for the sole purpose of generating virgin wax.

Has anybody used their own wax to make starter strips?

I have used some to rub along triangular strips of wood on tbh's but still have plenty of old stock foundation for starter strips. Next year I plan to try the triangular strips in my frames as the bees seem to work well from them, no starter strip just a rub of wax on the point.

Back