Foundation Roller

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi thanks for interest YES I will when I got time, BUT if you is near pop in and have a look.
We are taking bees to heather and starting to move equipment into new building and erect new floor. The brush is up me ass and I’m sweeping the floor.

Hi - I'm making a silicon mould myself based on the instructions here:
http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2006/february/beeswaxmould.htm

The Elastosil brand name materials suggested at that site (east African) are outdated in the US, at least, and I suppose in the UK also. You can still get Elastosil, but only in larger quantities. I have worked out an alternate material that is available in the US in small quantities (1 gal, or sample sizes are available). This brand name is called "Moldmax". You can get it in Durometer 20 or 25; the Elastosil in the link above is a 25 durometer (hardness measure) material, so either 20 or 25 would be good. The sales rep I talked to (below) said most wax molders are using 10 or 20 durometer, so I ordered the 20 durometer. I hope this helps. For what it's worth, a distributor in the USA is:
Scott A. Wells
Perma-Flex Mold Co., Inc.
1919 East Livingston Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43209
United States of America

[email protected]
614-252-8034 - Phone
800-736-6653 - Order Entry
614-252-8572 - Fax

Good luck!

For those who want to make foundation for BS National frames but unsure of frame sizes.

P1020665.JPG

The plastic frame (Black) is a full deep langstroth frame, perfect size to use to make your silicone mould from.

Other frames (Wooden) small is BS National - Large is 14x12 or deep national.

did any one who originally posted make any foundation? and what was it like?

There is a foundation making thing on bid fer bees. Quite cheap to and nowt to do with me.

I remember attending a National Honey show at Kensington town hall where the lecturer demonstrated making a foundation press using the lost wax technique.

Essentially he encased a sheet of foundation in a material, and this is where I am stuck as I cannot remember whether it was plaster of paris or a silicone, then used a low oven temperature to get the wax out.

What I do know is I have used a foundation press myself to make many hundreds of sheets and although thicker than rolled foundation and more brittle the bees just love it and draw it out very quickly indeed.

It makes very good starter strips for min nucs too.

And best of all it is very good fun to do. :)

PH

Several years ago, I read of someone making a mould with Portland cement slurry. Apparently worked well, but would likely need a good release agent. Two half boxes, make one side (with support for the wax foundation used as the initial mould) and when cured simply turn over and pour the other side into the lid.

Fill mould with wax and close down other half the box it was made in. I thought it may trap air on the top side, but not sure that would be any particular problem anyway - as long as the sheet did not come out perforated too much!

Silcone seems a much better, if more expensive, media to use.

Regards, RAB

foundation moulds

"Silicone seems a much better, if more expensive, media to use."

You can get easy to use kits that enable you to make "interesting" shaped "candle" moulds - might be worth practicing with one of those before extedning oneself to the effort of a foundation mould.

"interesting" shaped "candle" moulds

A tube of the correct type of builder's silicone is OK for that purpose

Regards, RAB

i tried to make a silicon rubber mould earlier this year and found that after i had made my wax sheet from the dipping of a piece of perspex and or ply wood

when i tried to roller it, the silicon was to soft in the pattern left,and the sheet of wax was not good enough for me, also i wanted the wax sheet slightly compressed to get a better wax sheet.

what i tried next was a thin pair of fibre glass sheets each one around 3 to 4mm thick.
several issues here the first pair had to many air bubbles in them so the next pair had to be cast inside a box and then i attached a vacuum to it , to cause a vacunmm to draw some of the entraped air out.

these were much better quality but let me down because my mangle rollers are a bit old and rough the sheets of fibre glass split.

the next pair if i was to make them will be about 6mm thick of solid fibre glass or it will have a ply wood backing to it

Last edited:
Ah! The demo I watched was yes using glass fibre and hence the lost wax method.

Why bother with rollers at all? Cast foundation will do superbly and it takes a whole layer of complexity out of the job.

I used very soapy water for the mould release and as I have said the bees loved the foundation.

However you DO need a considerable amount of wax to make a reasonable number of sheets. Please do not ask me for numbers as this was some 15 years ago now.

PH

Is it easy and cheapish to do PH? I have plenty of time on my hands (!) so it would be good to do something useful...

With the Herring press as in the auction,you can make nine sheets of foundation..bs brood, per pound of wax....or more sheets if thin foundation is needed...so much the same as the ready made foundation sold by the various suppliers.
I still have two of these foundation presses, some place.

Mmmm...I didn't think it would be a way of saving money so that's OK, as I guessed it was more about quality - but I am really starting to go bonkers at home, nothing to do and not able to go out and about. With the bees asleep, there is little I can do for them either - so thought this might save my sanity a bit!!

Back