Foundation Roller

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you give the link for the herring press please?

PH

Do you mean the one for sale,or a link to further imformation about them...the one for sale is on bid 4 bee's. But these are not the one's that do cast foundation.

Last edited:
I went right through ******** last night and couldn't see anything?

never thought of misc... found it.

PH

Last edited:
on bid 4 bees is a foundation making kit for £35 its in the job lot section. May be of use for someone.

buying stuff to make stuff is my biggest issue here as to me it does not make any financal sence

for my lot i need on average about 50 sheets of foundation for the brood box exchanges and on average say another 50 sheets of super foundation.

being a skin flint i always only buy super sized wax foundation and make the bees do the rest in the brood boxes rather than full size sheets of 12 by 14,

so cost wise there is very little there for me to spend when i do a wax exchange as well in the spring scrumage.

what i did want to do was to see if i could make wax sheets as the wife would also use them for candles.

in that case i can melt my cappings for me and flog the wife of with brood wax in an off browm colour and mix that up with a wax colouring to hid the dirty colours within.

now i brought a mangle from flea bay last year and as a former we tried to use two plastic danant brood frames with the outside frames removed and we have also tried fibre glass sheets( made to thin) and silicon RT as well( to soft)

the better way as i see it is to make a thin sheet from dipping a ply wood board and then either rolling it between two fibre glass sheets on a plywood backing or as i tried, fix the two plastic or fibre glass sheets to a new set of mangle rollers so you can just wind them through

the only two failings of these ideas is that we would have needed to a made a new set of rollers at a certain diameter, which i cant.
and that on one of the rollers we would have neede some way of adjusting the pattern to the uper roller so the patterns match, which i cant do.

i did try using just plain wax sheets but the issues there was the fact that the bees did not mind it but the hexagon pattern gives the sheet some rigidity and even with some four sets of wires we still had wobbly combs

The one on offer in Devon has gone, but he has offered the wiring frame and mangle if I want to pick them up...are they any good without the other bits??

If I may suggest here.

Keep your cappings for making candles but make solid ones. the home meade wax I strongly suspect will look too "chunky" as a rolled candle.

I sold thousands of rolled ones and we bought in the sheets. Blue and red were very popular at this time, black drifted away, but over all natural was the best selling colour.

Best selling solid candle was the little skep.

When you have a decent amount of wax I could lend you my wax melter/cleaner which results in one go of surgical lint filtered wax, ready to candle with. :)

PH

The one on offer in Devon has gone, but he has offered the wiring frame and mangle if I want to pick them up...are they any good without the other bits??

It is still listed on the auction site,hope no one decides to do the buy it now.

Hi HM,

Apparently he 'has agreed to sell' but the buyer doesn't want the 2 bits mentioned. I noted he still had it listed, but not having used the site didn't get that someone could bid...Just an idea to be productive...for a change...

Hi HM,

Apparently he 'has agreed to sell' but the buyer doesn't want the 2 bits mentioned. I noted he still had it listed, but not having used the site didn't get that someone could bid...Just an idea to be productive...for a change...

Where is he located in Devon.

Buckfast...Talking of which the Abbey is doing a 2nd year keepers course next Spring, I am thinking of attempting. They have said Cliff can go as my carer.

PH - Thank-you, I may well take you up on that offer. I used to use a double boiler and melt wax that way...but I wasn't on heavy meds then...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back