fondant from bako

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White Fondant

Aseeyrl, it's the white fondant that people use.

I don't think that redi use or powdered confers any benefits, but probably carries an extra premium and may contain additives to enhance handling - putting on cakes, buns etc. that aren't necessarily beneficial to the bees. KISS = White Fondant.

I missed that part of your question earlier, sorry.

I keep re-reading that to see if I missed something, buy £100 in BAKO shares? since when is that the case, I had a pallet off them last year with no shares ownership

no idea... I phoned them and had a salesman call me back.

he said that I had to join the membership by buying £100 in shares... maybe there is no single policy throughout the groups and is run similar to a franchise... I have noticed the different websites are quite different.

Hombre
Thanks, I'll get that.

I have been speaking with Bako Wales and they want me to join at £5, minimum spend is £50 and he told me a 12.5kg box is £12 each and he said he did not small orders or one time orders - he wants big continued customers as they are not a cash and carry........

This is very odd. Different areas are saying different things.

I bought from Bako East Mids and there was no mention of a min order, and I bought 15 blocks of 12.5kg white fondant at £10.05 per block.

I also put on some from last year which I kept in a dry shed and it was fine.

Me thinks Bako head office needs a wee heads up on pricing?

PH

They are all seperatley priced areas, i found this last year, with the south west being the cheapest, but they will not cross deliver into other area's patches, i will see how much i can get it for......will revert

Righty ho;

I can get it at £8.80/12.5kg box, this is if i buy a pallet full.

C B

They are all seperatley priced areas, i found this last year, with the south west being the cheapest, but they will not cross deliver into other area's patches, i will see how much i can get it for......will revert

South west as in Exeter?

It was the cheapest 2 years ago but no idea this year.
£8.95 for 12.5kg,minus another 2% if paying straight away,and further discount if buying by the Ton. Delivery free,well to account holders at least.

Last edited:
£8.95 for 12.5kg,minus another 2% if paying straight away,and further discount if buying by the Ton. Delivery free,well to account holders at least.

sounds like same price as my rep has given me then at £8.80/12.5kg for a tonne with delivery included, last time they delivered the polish lorry driver rocked up at 4am and unloaded it all into the shed by himself (i'd told him to ring me to wake me up so i could help but he just got on with it) a few weeks later i had a top up order so made sure i was up and gave him bacon roll and coffee to say thanks for before.

C B

Bako South West not only wanted me to buy £100 in shares to gain the right to buy from them, but also was not interested in small orders.

They wanted me to place regular orders (more than one large order a year!). He did not seem particularly interested and did not call me back when they said they would.

not sure if it is SW policy, or just the guy I spoke to that was not interested...

... so i got fed up and bought 100Kg of sugar (to start!) :mad:

There is no point in phoning Bako direct as (to be fair to them) they are only interested in supplying to trade in decent qty.

I've posted this up before, but a a reasonable supplier for small quantities is hall's of Kendal who will supply mail order;

£11.64 for 12.5Kg of Bako fondant plus £7.20 P&P

http://www.cateringsupplier.co.uk/halls_kendal/mia/pid/9942211

I've just ordered from Kluman and Balter (Essex). Price £9.90 per 12.5kg block including delivery. If you don't have an account they are happy with cash on delivery. I'm taking 40 blocks which I think might be the minimum for free delivery. I'd be happy to part with a few blocks at cost price to anybody willing to collect from Bromsgrove.

Has anyone else ordered in the South Essex/East London areas? Where can I order from?

I don't want a huge amount as I only have the one colony, but I'd like to give them some more feed.

Also, is there a particular type to go for as there appears to be a bewildering array.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
. . . is there a particular type to go for as there appears to be a bewildering array.

Many thanks.

Three methods of feeding, in order of preference perhaps and acceptability by the bees as the temperature drops?

Sugar syrup
Ambrosia (invert sugar syrup)
White fondant (12.5kg blocks)​

I hope that the bewildering array is sufficiently reduced and prioritorised to be of use to you.

I thought according to Admin that we were trying to have people that can supply at a sensible price to beekeepers with small numbers of stocks, not post after post complaining about company pricing. Fondant in 12.5 kg blocks is expensive to post so quibbling over a couple of pounds seems pointless. Wiltshire at £10.00 a box or buy on the forum auction site but COLLECTION ONLY.
kev
Admin: feel free to alter as you see fit, or remove if you dont like

Three methods of feeding, in order of preference perhaps and acceptability by the bees as the temperature drops?

Sugar syrup
Ambrosia (invert sugar syrup)
White fondant (12.5kg blocks)​

I hope that the bewildering array is sufficiently reduced and prioritorised to be of use to you.

Thanks, Hombre. It was the bewildering array of fondants I was referrig to, not methods of sugaring the girls.

So its a basic white fondant, ie no flavourings or colourant which is the required one. I have seen all sorts (unflavoured and uncoloured) and even one called invert, so i was a little perplexed.

Just have to find somewhere to get it from now.

Latest posts

Back