fondant from bako

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Cliff,
Bako fondant you can buy 12.5Kg. Cost me £10.67 all included, cash on delivery. However they only deliver to a business address, doesn't have to be a caterer, just any business address. Ring them, up, really helpful. Never seen £100 minimum order. Ring up and ask for miscellaneous order.

Chris

Hey Cliff,
Bako fondant you can buy 12.5Kg. Cost me £10.67 all included, cash on delivery. However they only deliver to a business address, doesn't have to be a caterer, just any business address. Ring them, up, really helpful. Never seen £100 minimum order. Ring up and ask for miscellaneous order.

Chris
Why make your own at such cheap price.
Cost of time and electric/gas, don't bother, my opinion anyway...

Why make your own at such cheap price.
Cost of time and electric/gas, don't bother, my opinion anyway...

Bag of sugar £12 - £13, glucose £3. 15 minutes boiling. You can get an awful lot of fondant from this!

I recently made enough (if needed) for my 15 hives on one evening. It also gave me the opportunity to add fructose, not sure it makes a difference but work on the principle that the more types of sugar the better for the bees.

It really is easy to make, although I must admit to a couple of 'beginners' disasters

I guess it depends on how many hives you have, if you only have a couple then it is probably worth the effort and hassle getting bako to deliver to a business address and the money spent collecting and 'bribing' the owner to accept the delivery for you.

Cheers
S

A bog of sugar? 25kg of 1kg? an awful lot of fondant? Can you give numbers please so the readership can do their own calcs.

Personally I just found it so convenient to have it delivered and it was clean to handle until I was unwrapping it at the apiary.

PH

I think if only for a couple of hives it may be worth making your own perhaps,not so sure it would be a good idea to be making up around 4 tons or so in one go for autumn feeding. Could you do this kind of amount cheaper than the ready made stuff can be bought for at £8.95 for 12.5kg, even less by the ton.

Last edited:
just got 1/2 a block (6.25Kg) of bako fondant from a local beek, for £5. that'l do my 1 hive!
:)

I'm with PH asking for some figures.

I don't know what facilities you have available to you, but the amount of energy required to bring 25kg of sugar to the boil, before the 15 minutes boiling will not be insignificant.

What weight of sugar did you process for your 15 hives? I have to commend you for your efforts, but don't forget to leave the kitchen clean or the OH will have a fit.

Latest posts

Back