Fly tippers!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I often pass stuff dumped in the lanes on my way to work. Happens so often that I have stopped getting annoyed by it unless it actually blocks the road. Have also collected quite a bit of useful wood, brick, log etc from these.
Its mainly builders and gardeners/tree surgeons who do not want to pay for getting rid of waste so simply dump it in the most convenient quiet lane.

It's not only builders and gardeners/tree surgeons who have this type of waste. This is also the domain of the traveler community, bless them!

Councils claim to want to increase recycling and reduce landfill, then put every hurdle known to man and his aunty in your way.

Van or trailer: Pay by weight or 3 drop permit to address plus proof, per year . No builders or home improvement waste. No walk in.
Paint: They have a recycling scheme at local tip unless you are in a van.
Paper. Won't take envelopes. Landfill.
Pringle type tubs: Metal/cardboard/plastic. They will remove from recycle and put in landfill bin?
Plastic/glass bottles: Until recently must be bottle shape???????? I kid you not.
and the list goes on.

Then there's their own fly tippers, sorry their waste collection guys, who never pick up anything they drop doing the recycling waste collection rounds.

Last edited:
You can't drive around without passing fly tipped badgers round here, farmers want to get shot of them but are wary of the stiff fines if they're found buried on the farm.

We have certainly had a fair quantity of them fly tipped on the roadside around here as well, though slightly less in the last couple of years due to the legal ministry badger cull.

You can't drive around without passing fly tipped badgers round here, farmers want to get shot of them but are wary of the stiff fines if they're found buried on the farm.

Wonder why they don't burn them as dumping them seems a bit self defeating as they will become carrion. So if infected could come back to them as poo. Yes I know TB or what ever may not be spread this way but..............

Wonder why they don't burn them as dumping them seems a bit self defeating as they will become carrion.

Because dumping them is much, much, easier than burning them, they don't burn easily, and you never know who is around, even farms have to be careful what they burn these days, there are even spies in the sky, so they say.

Because dumping them is much, much, easier than burning them, they don't burn easily, and you never know who is around, even farms have to be careful what they burn these days, there are even spies in the sky, so they say.

Farmers have to apply to the Environment Agency for an exemption to do certain activities :-

Burn hedge clippings and fallen trees
Apply ditch spoil to their fields.
Use rubble on their tracks.
Using green waste as a soil conditioner,

These are just a few, even if you are burning diseased bee equipment you should have a waste Exemption certificate for that task.

Mike

It's not only builders and gardeners/tree surgeons who have this type of waste. This is also the domain of the traveler community, bless them!

Councils claim to want to increase recycling and reduce landfill, then put every hurdle known to man and his aunty in your way.

Van or trailer: Pay by weight or 3 drop permit to address plus proof, per year . No builders or home improvement waste. No walk in.
Paint: They have a recycling scheme at local tip unless you are in a van.
Paper. Won't take envelopes. Landfill.
Pringle type tubs: Metal/cardboard/plastic. They will remove from recycle and put in landfill bin?
Plastic/glass bottles: Until recently must be bottle shape???????? I kid you not.
and the list goes on.

Then there's their own fly tippers, sorry their waste collection guys, who never pick up anything they drop doing the recycling waste collection rounds.

Like I say round my way it mainly builders and gardeners/tree surgeons

A couple of years ago a regular customer of mine worked at the local landfill/recycling centre. (Can't give you his job title as it will give away his ID)
The glass, metal and plastic were separated into different large storage 'sheds'. The odd company would come, load up and take away one of the constituents for reuse in one industry or another. The problem was that there was far more coming in than going out. ( the amount of recycled glass waste that can be added in a fresh batch of glass is fairly small apparently as it weakens the new batch) The result is obvious.
So every so often the waste segregated materials would be mixed back together and buried in landfill!! I kid you not! Still kept people in a job I suppose and the council could still claim how much was "recycled" on technical grounds due to amount placed into the 'sheds'.:banghead:

well if you were to run a tip on behalf of the council and pay the council for that privilege , what would you prefer thru the gates copper, brass , lead, steel , aluminium , cast , at x amount per tonne in your pockets or bricks ,wood , and anything else that requires to go to land fill, and you have to pay for, makes sense to me to putt any obstacle in your path so they don't have to pay.

well if you were to run a tip on behalf of the council and pay the council for that privilege , what would you prefer thru the gates copper, brass , lead, steel , aluminium , cast , at x amount per tonne in your pockets or bricks ,wood , and anything else that requires to go to land fill, and you have to pay for, makes sense to me to putt any obstacle in your path so they don't have to pay.

Not much chance of that stuff. Our friendly, local, "traveller" mobile recycling service tends to take care of that. (Sometimes whether you want them to or not! LOL):icon_204-2:

Local builders have taken to burning if they can. A nearby house was having an extension - adding rooms to extend the house of multiple occupation actually but not what was on the application. With the landlord away and only a few tenants to object they had a bonfire every day or two for about two months of the summer with any combustible waste. Even brought doors, offcuts and waste by the van load from other sites to add to the pile.

We've gone from tightly controlled waste disposal where we had a pretty good idea of what was dumped where to free for all dumping in any convenient gateway or open incineration. Various plastics and composites should produce a fair yield of dioxins on open fires.

Local builders have taken to burning if they can. A nearby house was having an extension - adding rooms to extend the house of multiple occupation actually but not what was on the application. With the landlord away and only a few tenants to object they had a bonfire every day or two for about two months of the summer with any combustible waste. Even brought doors, offcuts and waste by the van load from other sites to add to the pile.

I doubt they would get away with it around here, for that long anyway, apart from the local council it is mostly national trust... and all within the national park, so apart from any private people moaning there would be three official lots to try and avoid.
Perhaps that is another reason there is not much problem with fly tipping either...except for badgers.

Lots of land around here is also designated as SSSI.

Last edited:

We have certainly had a fair quantity of them fly tipped on the roadside around here as well, though slightly less in the last couple of years due to the legal ministry badger cull.

Maybe we should back the Late Clarissa Dickson Wright's appeal that Badger should return to the culinary menu as a popular bar snack (I believe that badger ham and cider was a staple down West way) thus killing two birds with one stone.

(I believe that badger ham and cider was a staple down West way)

It was, i have eaten badger ham as well, it was actually cooked (boiled) in cider, would not be on my list of favourite foods though, much prefer game, young starlings are good.

Last edited:
Having been soundly told off and nearly refused entry to our local dump the last time i visited, because i had not changed my truck details over on the licence when i got the new truck, i duly applied for the new one with the new details applied this was received a few weeks ago but i had not had need to use it until this weekend, i loaded up the truck with rubbish out of an out -building which is destined to become the new workshop and drove off to the dump, drove straight in parked up put the new licence on the dash and went off to ask one of the attendants where to put some glass, "over there mate he said" no mention of the licence, i carried on asked a different attendant where to put an old lawnmower, "in that bin mate" still no mention of the licence !! carried on again this time carrying paint tins a third attendant shouts out at me, ive been rumbled, when up to him expecting him to say i can not dump that here only for him to say "put it in the household din mate", finished and drove out !! I went home twice more to fill up the truck and went back to the dump and talk to every attendant there and was never asked for it once, very strange

Maybe we should back the Late Clarissa Dickson Wright's appeal that Badger should return to the culinary menu as a popular bar snack (I believe that badger ham and cider was a staple down West way) thus killing two birds with one stone.

Excuse me we don't eat badger ham here in West Way Lancing we prefer Seagull breast.

Latest posts

Back