Guess what happened today !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorrick

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Well here you go, today after a threat of a swarm yesterday when the sky over the garden went black with my Bee’s, the wife ran in as putting washing out and locked all the windows! they all came back and settled back into the hive, while they were swarming everywhere I had taken the hive apart to get rid of some Queen Cells as I had found Queen Cells x 8 in the brood chamber two nights before did not know what to do as a newbie, when told to cut them out except one but could not get to it Saturday as working, so I cut them all out except the biggest one, just encase the Queen had swarmed and I hadn’t noticed. I put the old queen cells in a cardboard box to take to my Bee Keeping course, along with the drones with deformed wings and some dead pupa, it’s all happening ( yes treating for verroa) (yes I am that new to it 4 weeks) and then a couple of hours purely by luck later promptly found a Virgin Queen walking out of the box!! So put her back in the hive. So in the hive I might have had the old Queen, a new Queen and a Queen cell. The Theory being if the old queen had flown I had a new Queen, If the old queen had flown and the hive killed off the re introduced Queen I still had a chance with the one Q/C (with me so far it gets better) Then looked at the cluster of Q/C’s I took out and one had already hatched Oh Dear I thought!! Went off last night and bought a Nuke box and a readymade National with frames in case the whole lot decided to swarm today. A very good reason for supporting your local Bee Keeping supply shop rather than the internet! Yesterday evening found a queen and promptly marked it and stuck its wings together (I thought oh Flip) luckily she is OK today and has a nice yellow dot where it should be and her wings are working fine (Thank Heaven) and laying ! (I’ve no idea either) Waited around today, Wife not happy as we were supposed to be going away this weekend, Dogs in kennels and all that (Bee Keeping is a bad hobby for a wife) and no she won’t join in!. so today had a look at the Super and brood box as things have calmed down a lot, as yesterday as a bit (lot) of panic crept in just looked at Brood box, and promptly found 3 Queen cells in the Super plus brood and lava!!! amongst the honey. I have absolutely no idea how that had happened as I have had a Queen Excluder above the brood since I have had it, the only thing I can think of is somehow something had got into the super when I have been inspecting the hive. So I have put the marked Queen in the new Hive along with 5 frames of brood, food and pollen. I have put the super back on top of the old Brood box as there must be something in there. And shaken some bees into the new hive and put it at the other end on the garden. I have looked and the new hive have done there orientation and are flying pollen into the new hive. The old one is doing as it always has done. So I might have cocked the whole lot up but hopefully by reading different things and advice from all you out there (Thank you all) I might be a 2 hive operator. I think the swarm flight might have been the new Queen going out on a mating flight and coming back? or a play flight or anything else as nothing so far in the past 4 weeks has made any sense to me at all except got my heart rate up a lot.:)

I'm in a similiar position. I returned home to find my bees swarming and I was trying to capture the cluster when they decided to return to the hive. I can only assume the queen was clipped (something I forgot to ask the supplier) I haven't located the queen so I think she fell to ground outside the hive. I have split the hive in two with two queencells in each and fingerscrossed!! I hope to find new mated queens in each when I next open up. I did not expect to deal with swarming for at least another year....beekeeping is a vertical learning curve.

Hi Bitbybit
At least I can leave them alone for a while, it has been a tiring weekend, and I am back at work tomorrow, it will be a nice rest :) this Bee Keeping thing appears to be a lot of finger crossing doesn't it.

Hi Lorrick,
I just wanted a nice relaxing hobby that would improve the environment:banghead: but instead I took up beekeeping!!

I thought the same way, my wife has a vegetable garden and likes her fruit and flowers, as well as liking Honey, I thought I know just the hobby that will help everyone concerned :)

they reckon the first 40 years is the hardest lol

Mind you the man I got this swarm from said he bought a very expensive Queen years ago, put her in her box in the hive, looked a few days later to make sure she had got out and as she hadn't so he let her out and she promptly flew up into the air, he was jumping up trying to get hold of it and couldn't so he waited to see where she went , when a House Martin promptly had it for dinner, oops

Hi lorrick,
That must be a record of all things going wrong and you got away with it! Fancy someone selling you, a newbie, an overwintered colony with the queen in the super. I feel exhausted just reading about it!

Well I was working it out and I took charge of the colony 22 days ago, so there was nothing in there then as we went through it. But due to the cold weather when I have checked the colony, I made it quick as not to chill them. I obviously missed something, or quite a bit.

Hi lorrick,
That must be a record of all things going wrong and you got away with it! Fancy someone selling you, a newbie, an overwintered colony with the queen in the super. I feel exhausted just reading about it!

I don't think the queen was in the super to start with as she was in the brood frames in the first set of pictures posted.

Hi Lorrick
Sounds like you have had a busy week end. Don't worry about the queen in the super, it happens, in fact it happened to me last week!! I had to separate a double brood set up, couldn't find the queen so shook all the bees into a bb, somehow she ended up above the QE. No idea how!
Cazza

Hi Cazza
Glad it happens to more experienced Keepers than I, I can't wait for the weather to get better as I feel for the bees.

Latest posts

Back