Flow Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Philip I think you’re spot on. I’ve talked to a lot of Flow hive keepers in Australia and consistent warm weather and nectar flow seems key. Something we don’t have here in the U.K. I wonder how @Paras manages his hives to achieve any amount of honey worth selling?

I work on double brood box that is 16 frames (as I am using the 8 frame Langstroth brood boxes. The thickest honey I have harvested in my FlowHive (FH) have measured 14% water content. The most I have harvested from one hive is about 37kgs leaving about 6 deep frames of honey stores in the second brood box when I take the supers off.

The FH has worked for me in the UK and have other friends who have been successful up North. I am very fortunate that I belong to a beekeeping association that had an open mind and were willing to teach me the skills of beekeeping and not discourage me for having a FH.

Last edited:
Well, Paras does it for pleasure so I guess a return is not that essential, but last I heard he sold via social media, inviting buyers to fill the jar from the tap. As I recall, he was getting something like £16/lb and always sells out locally; he's also a Flow Hive UK Ambassador; Instagram of hives here.

I certainly do it for pleasure but have ended up producing between 100 - 210 kgs of honey. Therefore not bad for a pleasure. Yes I am always sold out way before the next harvesting season a good place to be.

Hi paras can you give us a cost of a double brood flow hive with the honey super. I guess that’s the minimum required as a decent colony could require double that number of boxes.

Flow hives are not an alternative way of beekeeping. They are an alternative way of extracting honey.

But therin lies the problem with them, or rather with some flow hive owners. Some seem to have got the idea that flow hive is maintenance free and inspection free beekeeping. I look at the Flow Forum from time to time and its not unusual to see posts from people who have never properly inspected their brood box.

The hives themselves are very expensive. Against that you don't need an extractor, but more than two hives and an extractor is more cost effective.

They are most commonly used in Australia where the temperatures are higher than here so the honey does flow better.

Its a nifty invention as an in-situ extractor but unfortunately it was marketed as a way of beekeeping where you didn't disturb the bees and this has stuck with it.

Yes there are beekeepers who don't inspect their hives at all, a beekeeper asked me for help with his colonies. I went over to help him, found out he had not open his hive for 5 years, he bees were very defensive and stung his neighbours and his family while I was there. He had a feeder between the brood and super and the bees built comb around the super and he had missing frames in the hive. He had a British National hive.

So it is not the type of hive that makes a beekeeper lazy but the type of beekeeper themselves.

Yes the FH super is just a different way of extracting honey, and you need to inspect your colony when needed. I have picked up over the years from the window of the super a sense of where the bees are at and my inspection does prove what I had sensed.

Hi paras can you give us a cost of a double brood flow hive with the honey super. I guess that’s the minimum required as a decent colony could require double that number of boxes.

Hi Ian, I picked most of my FH from second market, from beekeepers who were discouraged by their club. On average its costed be £300 per hive with 2 brood boxes and FH super. Now days they are harder to get that price.

If you looking to purchase new from FH the cheapest would set you back by £700. However for me I am able to recoup that cost in the 1st year alone. So when it comes to replacing any of my FH in the future I would not hesitate to get a new one.

You can just use existing national kit and get a Flow super to National dimensions. Cost £449 for the super although currently sold out.

You can just use existing national kit and get a Flow super to National dimensions. Cost £449 for the super although currently sold out.

FlowHive have discontinued the National FH super.

Not for me. I enjoy the process of extracting, gives me a sense of achievement,I love the smell when decappingthe frames by hand in my kitchen, spinning, seeing the honey go through the sieve. Putting a metal key in a plastic super takes away the pleasure for me, seeing all the work the bees have done, from the wax building to capping the frames. We are lucky enough to have honey but that's never been the main aim for me, its for the love of having bees. But each to their own .

I work on double brood box that is 16 frames (as I am using the 8 frame Langstroth brood boxes. The thickest honey I have harvested in my FlowHive (FH) have measured 14% water content. The most I have harvested from one hive is about 37kgs leaving about 6 deep frames of honey stores in the second brood box when I take the supers off.

The FH has worked for me in the UK and have other friends who have been successful up North. I am very fortunate that I belong to a beekeeping association that had an open mind and were willing to teach me the skills of beekeeping and not discourage me for having a FH.
Thanks, @Paras for coming back to us.

Not for me. I enjoy the process of extracting, gives me a sense of achievement,I love the smell when decappingthe frames by hand in my kitchen, spinning, seeing the honey go through the sieve. Putting a metal key in a plastic super takes away the pleasure for me, seeing all the work the bees have done, from the wax building to capping the frames. We are lucky enough to have honey but that's never been the main aim for me, its for the love of having bees. But each to their own .
Yes same here....I moan when there is a stack of supers and I think I'll never get through them but I do and I do enjoy it. I love playing with the wax I get and making Christmas gifts for friends

Flow hives are not an alternative way of beekeeping. They are an alternative way of extracting honey.

But therin lies the problem with them, or rather with some flow hive owners. Some seem to have got the idea that flow hive is maintenance free and inspection free beekeeping. I look at the Flow Forum from time to time and its not unusual to see posts from people who have never properly inspected their brood box.

The hives themselves are very expensive. Against that you don't need an extractor, but more than two hives and an extractor is more cost effective.

They are most commonly used in Australia where the temperatures are higher than here so the honey does flow better.

Its a nifty invention as an in-situ extractor but unfortunately it was marketed as a way of beekeeping where you didn't disturb the bees and this has stuck with it.
That is very helpful thank you.

Do you have other hives apart from flow hives ?

You've had the blunt truth, Chris, but if you're determined to persevere I can put you in touch with a beekeeper who runs nothing but FlowHives and gets them to produce honey (no OSR, though).

Opening a tap and filling a jar may give a quick thrill but it advertises the idea that beekeeping - and food production - is easy, which is not really where we ought to be heading. What I mean is that I believe it's more useful to teach that the journey of an activity is more valuable than the end result.

Bear in mind that if a flow stops and bees are in a robbing mood they'll barge their way onto the tap and won't let go.

Unless you're going to get your customers into beekeeping kit first, it's a risk that you may not want to take. Of course, beekeepers know that robber bees are harmless, but the public will be alarmed. Oh, and forget about opening the tap in wasp season.

What about Enrico's idea of an observation hive? This one is in the Netherlands.

View attachment 30665
Thank you for all your comments. appreciated. Most of us in our project are experienced bee keepers of 12 years plus. We do have a small observation hive currently, looking to upgrade its size but not like above. It is interesting that Bee keepers have such varied opinions, and just what I was looking for. If we go with a Top bar or flow hive in addition to our current hives I will let you know the results.

You've had the blunt truth, Chris, but if you're determined to persevere I can put you in touch with a beekeeper who runs nothing but FlowHives and gets them to produce honey (no OSR, though).

Opening a tap and filling a jar may give a quick thrill but it advertises the idea that beekeeping - and food production - is easy, which is not really where we ought to be heading. What I mean is that I believe it's more useful to teach that the journey of an activity is more valuable than the end result.

Bear in mind that if a flow stops and bees are in a robbing mood they'll barge their way onto the tap and won't let go.

Unless you're going to get your customers into beekeeping kit first, it's a risk that you may not want to take. Of course, beekeepers know that robber bees are harmless, but the public will be alarmed. Oh, and forget about opening the tap in wasp season.

What about Enrico's idea of an observation hive? This one is in the Netherlands.

View attachment 30665
I would be interested in talking to the Bee keeper who is successful with Flow hives. Thank you.

I would be interested in talking to the Bee keeper who is successful with Flow hives. Thank you.

Sent you a message, sorry I don't come often on the forum

Do you have other hives apart from flow hives ?

I have Langstroth hives, Nuc's and mating Nucs for rearing extra colonies and queens. I have build my own sustainable Apiary.

Not for me. I enjoy the process of extracting, gives me a sense of achievement, I love the smell when uncapping the frames by hand in my kitchen, spinning, seeing the honey go through the sieve. Putting a metal key in a plastic super takes away the pleasure for me, seeing all the work the bees have done, from the wax building to capping the frames. We are lucky enough to have honey but that's never been the main aim for me, its for the love of having bees. But each to their own .
:iagree: even though I give away most of the honey to family and friends, selling a few jars from the front door occasionally, and only use a little to add to stewed rhubarb and the like. We are well into our 80s with a limited diet but like to see the bees doing their job.

Latest posts

Back