Flow Hive - more info

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uncapping a frame of honey and letting it drain is completely different from how a flow frame works, by just uncapping the honey is still held in more by vacuum (similar to an inverted contact feeder) while in the flow frames the comb is split vertically, allowing air in, and the honey to flow out much more easily.

hadnt thought of it that way but it still doesnt flow down the frames and into whatever container as quick as thiers does. My honey doesnt come out of the honey gate on a bucket as quick as they show theirs doing.

My honey doesnt come out of the honey gate on a bucket as quick as they show theirs doing.

All to do with temperature, warm the honey in your tank, similar to what it would be coming from a beehive in summer, especially in hotter countries, and it will flow faster.

All to do with temperature, warm the honey in your tank, similar to what it would be coming from a beehive in summer, especially in hotter countries, and it will flow faster.

understood, but how do you warm a FH to the temperature it would be at in Australia?

Put some bees in it...it's called homeostasis.

I see..You put the bees in after the honey has been produced....That must be why there doesnt appear to be any bees around when they are draining the honey into jars.

what I'm saying is that the honey will flow easier in Australia than it will here.

Possibly, and in many other parts of the world as well, but at the temperature the bees keep the hive it would flow quite well here as well, don't expect many would worry if it took an hour or so longer to drain than in some hot place, speed is not essential to many.

Uncapping a frame of honey and letting it drain is completely different from how a flow frame works, by just uncapping the honey is still held in more by vacuum (similar to an inverted contact feeder) while in the flow frames the comb is split vertically, allowing air in, and the honey to flow out much more easily.

Well, I hate to question your phyics Pete - but if you are talking about capped cells then shirley there will be a vacuum at the other end ? Honey cells that are not capped (Oops - will they be ripe) of course will have air at the other end and will flow ?

Well, I hate to question your phyics Pete - but if you are talking about capped cells then shirley there will be a vacuum at the other end ? Honey cells that are not capped (Oops - will they be ripe) of course will have air at the other end and will flow ?

No, because in the flow frames the cappings distort, plus air will also flow in from above the disengaged cells, thus allowing the honey to flow out much more easily than in a traditional uncapped comb with many small individual cells.

No, because in the flow frames the cappings distort, plus air will also flow in from above the disengaged cells, thus allowing the honey to flow out much more easily than in a traditional uncapped comb with many small individual cells.

I bet you want one...

I can't see how the cappings would distort ? The frames separate down the 'spine' of the comb - as I understand it (or don't understand it more likely !) the lever simply creates a vacant space where each side of the plastic 'comb' joins - indeed, in the FH literature it states (from memory) that the bees have to remove the cappings in order to refill the cells with honey - it also says that FH cells are deeper than normal honeycomb so - unless the honey is very viscous, I can't see that a vacuum won't form under the cap. But ... time will tell - although it may be a long wait (Unless you already have a trial hive on the go ? ).

I can't see how the cappings would distort ?

They do just enough, all the internal cell walls split vertically, creating one long channel from the top to bottom, not just the inner end, bottom of cell removed.

Watch the first video at 2.20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbMV9qYIXqM

And the second demonstrating how a single frame works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryWC92NT2Eo

An old design/patent from many decades ago had just the back end of the cells being removed, it never worked efficiently because the cappings were causing a vacuum to be formed, this new design has overcome this problem.

Last edited:
They do just enough, all the internal cell walls split vertically, creating one long channel from the top to bottom, not just the inner end, bottom of cell removed.

Thats something that will have to be introduced into beekeeping classes.

Do NOT.....under ANY circumstances............leave your chain saw unattended when bees are about...

Watch the first video at 2.20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbMV9qYIXqM

And the second demonstrating how a single frame works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryWC92NT2Eo

An old design/patent from many decades ago had just the back end of the cells being removed, it never worked efficiently because the cappings were causing a vacuum to be formed, this new design has overcome this problem.

Ahh ... I see now - you have to be quick to spot that in the first video - I had watched both of them but must have blinked between 2.20 and 2,23 ... !! I can see now why there is no vacuum formed under the caps and I understand why the caps will distort ... not convinced that it's the panacea for beekeeping it's billed to be though.

I note there are a lot of absolute dimwits posting questions on their youtube channel that have invested in the full kit ... like 'how much honey will I get in winter ?' .... Doh ... there's going to be tears !!!

What happens when your queen manages to squeeze up into this (single magic tap) super and you start cranking the handle two weeks later?

It appeals to the bone idle, and I can see that is the single 'beekeeping in your shorts' hook with its QVC style advertising.

Really cant wait to see plonks cleaning this device once OSR has set overnight.

Cleaver PR, a gimmick, and the promise of doing little work….

I could list a dozen reasons why this is not what is seems and why the practical aspects of modern beekeeping trumps this product over and over again (I am all for innovation, its cute but doesn't solve anything).

The sad fact is people are being tricked, if you've kept bees for a couple of years in the UK and buy it then you have more money than sense and have helped promote the 'do as little as possible' mantra.

Thats feels better...

What happens when your queen manages to squeeze up into this (single magic tap) super and you start cranking the handle two weeks later?

It appeals to the bone idle, and I can see that is the single 'beekeeping in your shorts' hook with its QVC style advertising.

Really cant wait to see plonks cleaning this device once OSR has set overnight.

Cleaver PR, a gimmick, and the promise of doing little work….

I could list a dozen reasons why this is not what is seems and why the practical aspects of modern beekeeping trumps this product over and over again (I am all for innovation, its cute but doesn't solve anything).

The sad fact is people are being tricked, if you've kept bees for a couple of years in the UK and buy it then you have more money than sense and have helped promote the 'do as little as possible' mantra.

Thats feels better...

I think it's a real shame, that for the last 10 years under development, or 3 years under test, that the Flow Hive, has not been trial-ed/tested by any UK or European Beekeepers, to my knowledge, or I've not seen any videos or evidence, or testimonials, given apart from Australian, US and Canadian beekeepers.

and for me personally, I'd not heard of such a development, until the IGG campaign started.

That should not have been very difficult to make contact, and then all our UK feelings would have been put to bed, and we would be eating our words!

I'm not sure I could afford the system, on general release, with the number of current colonies I now have.

Interesting times in the future, and it could change all our lives!

Maybe extractors will be a thing of the past, or get cheaper!

Hives all connected by tubes to a pumping station, and bottling plant, now there's an idea!

Well all I can say is good luck... (lots of useful advice)...
As has been said, genuinely, we are always pleased to see new beekeepers - whatever flavour their hive is - but try not to alienate us with posts that suggest we are a lot of Luddites - that's far from the truth.

Thanks for the advice pargyle, very useful, not sure I'll feel comfortable just getting stuck in before having a course. I wouldn't want to contribute to varroa or other pest issues unknowingly.

With regards to 'luddites' I can only reflect the tenor of discussion I found on the only thread I found about the FlowHive here. I don't recognise myself in the characterisations made through most of the thread (except perhaps "more money than (beekeeping) sense", since you rightly point out some fairly cheap methods of getting started).

Latest posts

Back