Floor's

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedgerow Honey

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
173 national & 100 commercial
Does anyone use the bee equipment nat screen floor, I use Maisie solids but this looks good value in the sale.

I prefer to make floors myself, under floor entrance too.

Home made standard ones and under floor entrances too

+2 Wightbees and Erica and +3 for me, they are so simple to make with very little time involved if you have the tools ? , the only cost for me is the mesh for the open mesh floor, a no brainer really.

:iagree:

They're probably as cheap as you'll see anywhere in the sales, and if you just need one then fine, but its cheaper in materials(pro rata) to buy the wood/mesh and make five or ten - and you get to customise with benefits like underfloor entrances

:iagree:

They're probably as cheap as you'll see anywhere in the sales, and if you just need one then fine, but its cheaper in materials(pro rata) to buy the wood/mesh and make five or ten - and you get to customise with benefits like underfloor entrances

Under floor entrance?

I might have to copyright this!! :spy:

Got the building stages drawings in contrasting colours now as well if anyone is interested :D

Attachments

• floor 1 (1024x768).jpg
    floor 1 (1024x768).jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 52
  • floor 2 (1024x768).jpg
    floor 2 (1024x768).jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 49
  • floor 3 (991x1024).jpg
    floor 3 (991x1024).jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 44
Thanks guys . What's the advantages of using this method ?

Thanks guys . What's the advantages of using this method ?

No need for mouse guards, wasps hate them, no need for entrance reducers, easy to vape from behind and underneath the OMF, landing bees not affected much by crosswinds,

No need for mouse guards, wasps hate them, no need for entrance reducers, easy to vape from behind and underneath the OMF, landing bees not affected much by crosswinds,

I beg to differ from observation, wasps in my neck of the woods prefare them and sneak in left and right , good for mice and moles though ohh and Green woodpeckers.

Sorry JBM, but the Dartington version, with landing board is better, IMO.

Better for both narrowing (for even better as a wasp deterrent) and for crosswinds. I've never had a mouse in a Dartington, so no problem, there, either.

Also Robin's hive, being longer, aided over-wintering, as the cluster could easily be confined to the central area (with insulation on both sides, as well as external if extra wanted). My roofs were modded to accept more top insulation, which clearly aided the bees even more. Far better than that standard omlette cool box!

But anything underfloor is better than the normal entrance.

RAB

There are lots of debate, what is a good or best floor. When you make your own, no need to debate. Do such as you want

I have made many floor in a hurry, when I need them for artificial swarms. And now those hurry floors are under the hive.

Even good floors become old and rotten.

What I do not use any more is natural ply or natural wood. IT will be covered with black mould.

Last edited:
Security for 1

I do like this design too, cheers.

I beg to differ from observation, wasps in my neck of the woods prefare them and sneak in left and right , good for mice and moles though ohh and Green woodpeckers.

Poly Langstroths have similar underfloor entrances and wasp have no trouble finding in their way into those either.

I think that should read some, or a make of poly has... as I for one have never seen such a floor on a poly Lang.

Beware of painting with a large brush.

PH

Beware of painting with a large brush.

PH

That wasps will use underfloor entrances or poly langs have underfloor entrances??
Bad wording on my part to create this confusion, I should have written "those with underfloor entrances".

I sat for hours watching wasp behaviour at standard and underfloor entrances (when I had both) there was a distinct difference in their approach to both with wasps very quickly learning to avoid UFE's.
Seen this behaviour continue now with any wasp trying their luck very quickly being ejected from the hive.

Back