Flaming wooden boxes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The first time a wooden box is flame scorched it is straightforward to see where has been done.
How do you ensure it is done thoroughly when it needs to be done again?

Or are wooden boxes only scorched when EFB is suspected/confirmed and you'd have to be very unlucky to have it twice?

(I've been working my way through my polynucs this spring and it's obvious where the bleach/soda solution has been, even when it's on a 2nd cycle. No disease outbreak, just thought it was time/good practice to clean them up)

No disease outbreak, just thought it was time/good practice to clean them up)
Why is it good practice? we really must get away from this obsession with annually scrubbing and burning the buggery out of every bit of kit. It's not needed.

Propolis is the bees natural antiseptic. Why remove it? I do scrape off brace comb and any large chunks of propolis before winter storage, but that is it.

The first time a wooden box is flame scorched it is straightforward to see where has been done.
How do you ensure it is done thoroughly when it needs to be done again?

Or are wooden boxes only scorched when EFB is suspected/confirmed and you'd have to be very unlucky to have it twice?

(I've been working my way through my polynucs this spring and it's obvious where the bleach/soda solution has b een, even when it's on a 2nd cycle. No disease outbreak, just thought it was time/good practice to clean them up)

Killit Bang a kitchen stuff is good in polyworking. You get it from Lidl.
Take fat diluting bottle.

Propolis is the bees natural antiseptic. Why remove it? I do scrape off brace comb and any large chunks of propolis before winter storage, but that is it.

That propolis idea is dreaming.

Normal dirty after winter is diarhea poo in the poly walls.
Mold exists too.

Last edited:
Why is it good practice? we really must get away from this obsession with annually scrubbing and burning the buggery out of every bit of kit. It's not needed.
Slugs, dead bees and mould inside the gloss painted feeders on the Paynes nucs was a good enough reason for me. The perspex cover sheets had an extra few mm of brace comb and propolis each side that was compromising any insulation properties of the roof.
Plus some side rails were getting so gummed up with propolis it was messing with the frame lugs.

Continuous cleaning does not help, if you do not have diseases. And if you have a disease, it is in the combs, not in walls.

Back