First Time Honey Harvest Question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snoozypaws3000

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Hi All,

After reading up about and longing for bees for about 8 years I actually took the plunge and this year I bought 4 very old and tatty WBC hives and renovated them all.

I obtained 2 nuc's and 2 full colonies from a nearby beekeeper and they were all homed in the new hives between the end of June beginning of July time. [I know probably not ideal timewise]

I optimistically placed a single honey super on each of the full colonies although wasn't expecting too much

To my surprise my fuzzy friends have managed to fill quite a few of the super frames.

Earlier this week I removed a single frame of honey just to test it [maybe that should read to taste it!]
It was fully capped on both sides.

I extracted the honey by uncapping and draining each side [no extractor yet!] and then filtered it through some very fine mesh.
I got about 1.5lbs.

The honey is very, very pale in colour and quite runny [it tastes delicious but has a very mild honey flavour].

I've never seen such a pale coloured honey before, in fact it is so pale that it doesn't look like honey at all

The colony in the hive it came from seems to be fit, strong and thriving, plenty of activity, brood etc.

I am assuming that the paleness comes from whatever they've been foraging on [any ideas?] but I was just wondering as this is my first honey if this is a normal thing.

Was expecting it to be more of an amber colour and slightly more viscous.

Be grateful if you more experienced people could advise if this is normal....or if I should be worrying?

The frames in the brood box are well stuffed with honey too although this was probably from earlier in the year before they were homed with me.

Would be most appreciative for input
Thanks again
Sky

Whilst the super has been on you havn't fed them at all, have you? If you have, then its probalbly high proportion sugar syrup and not honey at all!:)

Hi there,
Thanks for you reply,
No I haven't fed the bees any syrup or anything at all, its just from whatever they've foraged themselves.
Sky

Appreciate your honey... it is very precious!

You know how, when and where it was made and the fortune it cost to produce...... please do not sell it for £5 per lb or cook with it.. plenty of cheap cooking honey on our supermarket shelves... I buy that to cook with, particularly from Sanesberries as I now knw they loose at least 30p every bottle they sell!

Good on you for getting nice pale honey - my favourite. Bet it is delicious.

quite a bit of himalayan balsalm around friday woods what area of colchester are your bees.also has been plenty of blackberry and willowherb. I think it is probably a blend of the above.

Thanks so much for your kind replies, I'm near Great Horkesley on Spratt's Marsh [CO6 area of Colchester] and have lots of Brambles around this area as well as some willow herb so that is probably what they've been gathering.
I'm also only about a mile away from Cant's Rose Gardens so was wondering if it could perhaps be from there.
I am ridiculously proud of the fact that my bees have managed to produce some honey and I guess I'm pretty happy that no-one will mistake it for anything available in Asda!
Thanks again
Sky

Latest posts

Back