First Sting of the Year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An observation i made last year in relation to this, i have found that the "Pain" level of the sting taken can vary with different hives, or so it seems. (perhaps that should be varies with Strain of Bee)

One colony in particular when they sting,(my only Hampshire Colony) the searing pain continues four fold over my other bees. Its extremely intense, enough so to make me hold the area momentarily. I do not react in this way with any others.

What strain are they ?

Wish i could say, it was a nuc bought from my local association, he described them as Hampshire Mongrels, the original queen was superceded last year, so the current mix is anyones guess.

Very strong colony, and dark, generally tolerant of my inspections, but if i am clumsy, they are very quick to show their disgust and in numbers.

The worst and probably most painful stinging experience I ever witnessed was to a bee farmer friend of mine who decided that he wouldnt wear wellies or bicycle clips.HE got stung on his manhood by a bee that explored up his trouser leg.Certainly made his eyes water.I let him get his own sting out.

Worst I have had was last year,I was attacked by a wasp nest in the ground,they chased me 40 yards to the woods and then continued to sting.

Took me 3 days to get over the pain then the infection started..

I have imense respect for my bees and am happy to hold my hands up if I get a sting as it will often be me being clumsy.
But wasps,I really do hate the protein eating/honey stealing little buggers..

This year its going to be war!!

Cummon John... she can and did....

http://www.bumblebee.org/bodySting.htm the witch... after I rescued her mum from the bloo*y loo three times, ungrateful madam..

PH

cummon Pete you referred the stinging beastie as "He".
Just taking the micky out of your typo :cheers2:.

Off to the Lancashire Spring convention in a couple of mins . Not usually up at this ungodly hour :).

John Wilkinson

But wasps,I really do hate the protein eating/honey stealing little buggers..

This year its going to be war!!

Its a horrible feeling when you hear that deeper buzz around your head, i really hope that this prolonged very cold winter has killed off many queens, there were so many around last year it really hindered my plans.

I will be watching one apiary in particular this spring for movement and try and kill them off earlier.

hope that this prolonged very cold winter has killed off many queens

Referring to wasps, of course. It is not the prolonged and cold winter that does the deed for us, it is a cold/wet snap after they have nearly got their nest established to the point of worker offspring and them losing that early start.

They are (mostly) not so stupid as to hibernate where the cold can kill them off. A cold and prolonged winter will mean they will emerge a little later (that is why they hibernate in north facing banks, etc). A longer winter will mean a shorter season for them, of course, but the set-back of losing their first nest can mean the difference of them becoming a nuisance long before the top fruit is available (if that is not decimated too!)

Regards, RAB

Does Bee venom get stronger during the winter months whilst the Bees are sheltering in the Hive?

Back