First inspection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliverkelly

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I installed a 4 frame (there were 5 frames but 1 of just foundation) nucleus on 29th June, and inspected today. There were new eggs, larvae of different sizes, and capped brood. Didn't spot the queen, but I guess she must be there.

They have started to draw out almost 2 sides of deep foundation. not completed but about half way there.

I had been using a contact feeder, which I put in on the 30th, and there is plenty of nectar/syrup and capped honey around the brood.

The contact feeder started leaking after about 3 days, dripping through the mesh onto the ground. I guess this was when the feeder was starting to get empty? When I checked today it was completely empty.

I have been seeing what I assume are robber bees, bees being bundled out, different looking bees trying to get in. Am I right in not putting back the feeder ? Or do I just need to make sure it is kept full to create a better vacuum. I think the heat also makes the syrup more runny.

Perhaps I should try a rapid feeder instead ?

They still have 4 sides of foundation to draw out, and space for 2 more frames.

Any comments appreciated.

No need for feeding at this time of year - take the feeder off altogether. you say you have room for more frames - have you dummied down the empty space?
it would also help the bees guard the hive if you reduced the entrance down to single beespace.
It looks like that nuc could have stayed a nuc for a little longer - how much brood was there when you hived them?

Thanks for the reply.

I have removed the feeder, and the entrance has been reduced from day 1 with the supplied wasp guard which has 2 bee space entrances.
I have a beehaus, and put the blanking/dummy frame after the last empty foundation.
There were 3 small frames of brood (both sides) in the nuc when I got it.

Oliverkelly,

IF you update your profile re. hive type people can give you better info.

Most of us work on a "standard" hive configuration and formats BUT you have beehaus which is a whole different ball game, PLEASE give the members here half a chance.

:welcome:To the forum, BUT please give us the info. to help.

Latest posts

Back