Filling honey jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bee Bumble

House Bee
Reaction score
I imagine most people over fill their honey jars by a few grams but some I know completely fill their jars to improve appearance. What does the law say about this and by how much do you over-fill your jars of honey?

I imagine most people over fill their honey jars by a few grams but some I know completely fill their jars to improve appearance. What does the law say about this and by how much do you over-fill your jars of honey?

Fill them to the weight stated on the label, if not, there is no point in having the weight information included on the label.

Last edited:
Overfill is just throwing money away, work out 5 grams over three thousand jars which I would imagine most hobbyists would sell over time.

Ok if your scales are actually callibrated

When ever i weigh anything with digital scales i always check first with these brass weights from my balance scales.

IMG_3386_zpstaeooppi.jpg

I can see tears here when Millet next visits Wales and Ass....ayes them for you personally. Those large ones could be painful... :D

Best we not go there....sheep innards all over the car back seats....she claimed she wasn't a a virgin.

Big boy is Hee.. :D , i will end on this as i have forgot what i was on about...:spy:

Sorry Edited to add... Kebab and chips with Welshmans bits(mostly lamb) .

Last edited:
Assay, assay, assay, how do you know when your weights are what they claim to be...

You take them to the post office and put them on the scales and take a photo of what they say!

Overfill is just throwing money away, work out 5 grams over three thousand jars which I would imagine most hobbyists would sell over time.

500 g and 5 g = 1%.

Can you really be so accurate?

You leave tens of percents into the hive. Extract that.

Back