Filipe Salbany- Somerset Beekeepers' Association online event

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bullshit and bluster then, standard ploy of a snakeoil salesman

I'm inclined to agree. Why would an NDA (assuming one even exists, which I can't give a great deal of credence right now) prevent him confirming what he's already admitted in a newspaper interview by saying that results of a DNA test were expected late last year and elsewhere it was announced that DNA testing of as many colonies as possible would take place this winter.

James

In the strictest sense of the word, he came across as not actually being a beekeeper. He seems truly interested in the bee as a wild creature. However, like many actual beekeepers, he appears to enjoy being well known and having his opinions listened to.

Gained from his experiences, he has some advice for regular beekeepers which, in general, is similar to that given by Tom Seeley, but learning how unmanaged bees live is clearly his main interest.

He's not trying to sell anything; in fact, he's unhappy that people may be trying to attract "his" bees to bait hives. When asked how his work is financed, he answered by comprehensively suggesting people were welcome to donate to the project.

It's hard to tell from a two hour Zoom talk, but to me he came across as quite genuine in the way he backed up claims about the bees, but I felt there was a fair bit of personal vanity about his discoveries, which might have influenced his perceptions of the"purity" of the bees as he describes them.

The only reason for deploying an NDA would be if the results showed they were just bog standard feral bees of mixed origin. If the DNA tests had proven him right he would be crowing it from the rooftops.
Just another fraud

I also asked whether he thought these bees would do ok outside the forest and he said no. He was pretty annoyed that beekeepers were putting bait hives up around the Blenheim.

His Guardian story came out out in November, who’s been putting bout bait hives since then?
If it was last year I suspect they were bait hives that were put out every other year.
Walter Mitty needs his head checked.

I also asked whether he thought these bees would do ok outside the forest and he said no. He was pretty annoyed that beekeepers were putting bait hives up around the Blenheim.
That’s part the problem with this sort of thing, he’ll be moaning about other beekeepers surrounding the estate shortly.

Here, in the comments, the poster states:

"Some samples have already been sent for preliminary testing, but the plan is to sample EVERY colony this winter."

Looks like this NDA isn't working too well.

James

I'm inclined to agree. Why would an NDA (assuming one even exists, which I can't give a great deal of credence right now) prevent him confirming what he's already admitted in a newspaper interview by saying that results of a DNA test were expected late last year and elsewhere it was announced that DNA testing of as many colonies as possible would take place this winter.

James
In all fairness I've had my bees dna sampled for a research project and it's common practice to be asked not to publicise the results until the work is published by the author.

In the strictest sense of the word, he came across as not actually being a beekeeper. He seems truly interested in the bee as a wild creature. However, like many actual beekeepers, he appears to enjoy being well known and having his opinions listened to.

Gained from his experiences, he has some advice for regular beekeepers which, in general, is similar to that given by Tom Seeley, but learning how unmanaged bees live is clearly his main interest.

He's not trying to sell anything; in fact, he's unhappy that people may be trying to attract "his" bees to bait hives. When asked how his work is financed, he answered by comprehensively suggesting people were welcome to donate to the project.

It's hard to tell from a two hour Zoom talk, but to me he came across as quite genuine in the way he backed up claims about the bees, but I felt there was a fair bit of personal vanity about his discoveries, which might have influenced his perceptions of the"purity" of the bees as he describes them.
Couldn't agree more, nicely summed up. Reminds me very much of another thread currently being loudly broadcast.

Beekeeping Bullexcrement Baffles Brains sums it up = for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back