Propolis collection, role in hive hygiene & webinar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Following recent discussions about cleaning equipment, Propolis was highlighted as a good thing & removal is best restricted to when it's stopping smooth movement of frames. As an aside, I use petroleum gel on all my brood box & nuc runners, which really helps prevent it getting gummed up. Propolis collection is governed by a dominant gene (source Brother Adam) so some colonies collect more than others; definitely observed this & also in apiaries with lots of trees around. I experimented collected propolis on a screen last year, before putting on my first super and store it in the freezer. I intend to make a tincture (mix with vodka) good for sore throats & other medicinal purposes :) Also plan to add a small amount to my latest project, soap making.

Have you collected propolis & what for?

On it's use in bee hygiene, there's an interesting free webinar coming up with Somerset beekeepers, with Prof Marla Spirak (Entomology, University Minnesota) who has researched propolis and it's role in bee hygiene & behaviour, plus how to collect. Worth registering & watching if it's a topic you're interested in.
Elaine

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/stay...DNO2bwZvTFNh0rgDJ3fi3e40DWbwXXVwiAoTaexAAFXxA

Reminds me of a beautiful black queen I had about fifteen years ago, Sticky Vicky. Beautiful, coal black bees who created a tequila sunrise effect on the walls of the hive and pools of ruby red toffee between the frame lugs and what a gorgeous hive scent. Sadly, lost the last of her line to the Beast from the East :(
Must own up, I've never used propolis for anything.

P
Must own up, I've never used propolis for anything.

I say the same.

If propolis is so amazing why bees have those diseases what they have.
When I put the bees into a new hive with new foundations, why the hive does not become sick?

And on another hand, when guys destroy old combs and brood, they believe that bees become healthy.

Last edited:
Propolis... Climate control substance. Bees use it to construct a vapour retardant membrane in trees. They need to do this to stop water vapour leaking inwards, otherwise honey would be impossible in a damp tree.

I collect my hive scrapings of propolis and dissolve it in methylated spirits to make propolis varnish ... I use it to paint the inside of new hives - two or three coats usually (dries in seconds). It gives the bees a start as they always propolise the inside walls of the hive and it leaves a wonderful bee smell that is great for bait hives ...

I collect my hive scrapings of propolis and dissolve it in methylated spirits to make propolis varnish ... I use it to paint the inside of new hives - two or three coats usually (dries in seconds). It gives the bees a start as they always propolise the inside walls of the hive and it leaves a wonderful bee smell that is great for bait hives ...
I tried your method earlier this year to coat the inside of bait hives. One worked, a bait hive made out of an Ikea bedside cabinet, the other didn’t, so a decent return.
I have to say though, to my nose the resulting smell has a distinctive chemical odour.
On that basis I haven’t coated the inside of any brood boxes but I’d be happy to use it on a bait hive not made from old boxes that already have that smell.
Courty

P

I say the same.

If propolis is so amazing why bees have those diseases what they have.
When I put the bees into a new hive with new foundations, why the hive does not become sick?

And on another hand, when guys destroy old combs and brood, they believe that bees become healthy.
Guess it can only do so much. But still a good thing re waterproofing, minor diseases.
Think you’re right, giving new comb gives the bees a new lease of life, helps with pathogens such as nosema & chalkbrood, afterwards they zip along, less cell inspecting & cleaning if new comb, seen that myself. At right time, helps with swarm prevention, keeps young wax builders occupied, the bees that help run the swarming process.

giving new comb gives the bees a new lease of life, helps with pathogens such as nosema & chalkbrood, afterwards they zip along, less cell inspecting & cleaning if new comb, seen that myself. At right time, helps with swarm prevention, keeps young wax builders occupied, the bees that help run the swarming process.
Straight out of the BBKA book of shook swarm propaganda.

It's the older, foraging bees that 'help run' the swarming process BTW not the younger wax making house bees.

Straight out of the BBKA book of shook swarm propaganda.

It's the older, foraging bees that 'help run' the swarming process BTW not the younger wax making house bees.
[/QUOTE
No one knows, many factors involved, though nurse bees are thought to have a key role in reducing queen pheromone in a congested brood area and could well be the first trigger point to starting the swarming process. This hypothesis is well reasoned.
https://www.beeculture.com/swarm-initiation-a-nurse-bee-hypothesis/
What stuck in my mind ref wax builders and giving comb building as a swarm prevention measure, is a comment from a long time beekeeper in our association, “they’re like unruly teenagers, give them plenty to do & they’ll give you a lot less trouble”

I keep a lump of accumulated propolis scrapings in a jar. Its useful as quick wood filler if one of my hive boxes develops a problem. Just break a bit off, warm it in the hands until pliable, fill the hole and allow it to harden.

What is the best solvent to render propolis spreadable, to say prep a new hive or bait box.? I imagine methylated spirit leaving a rather unatractive smell.

What is the best solvent to render propolis spreadable, to say prep a new hive or bait box.? I imagine methylated spirit leaving a rather unatractive smell.
I've never had a problem with meths but isopropyl alcohol ( of which I have plenty having bought some to make my own hand sanitiser :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:) does smell less but they both evaporate anyway

Following recent discussions about cleaning equipment, Propolis was highlighted as a good thing & removal is best restricted to when it's stopping smooth movement of frames. As an aside, I use petroleum gel on all my brood box & nuc runners, which really helps prevent it getting gummed up. Propolis collection is governed by a dominant gene (source Brother Adam) so some colonies collect more than others; definitely observed this & also in apiaries with lots of trees around. I experimented collected propolis on a screen last year, before putting on my first super and store it in the freezer. I intend to make a tincture (mix with vodka) good for sore throats & other medicinal purposes :) Also plan to add a small amount to my latest project, soap making.

Have you collected propolis & what for?

On it's use in bee hygiene, there's an interesting free webinar coming up with Somerset beekeepers, with Prof Marla Spirak (Entomology, University Minnesota) who has researched propolis and it's role in bee hygiene & behaviour, plus how to collect. Worth registering & watching if it's a topic you're interested in.
Elaine

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/stay...DNO2bwZvTFNh0rgDJ3fi3e40DWbwXXVwiAoTaexAAFXxA
I've signed up for this webinar, and I'm looking forward to it. I also had to register for Eventbrite separately.

Latest posts

Back