Fermenting Honey - Uses other than Mead?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris K

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I need advice from anyone who has had this problem before please.
I was sorting out some jars of Honey for a show today and discovered 3 jars which were showed and won last year have now started to ferment. They are starting expand up in the jar, there are some bubbles formed, the honey has a slick look and the smell is definitely on the turn. But the taste is still good (to my mind).
What should I do? I already have two demi-johns of Mead on the go.
Can I warm it and clear it? or will this advance the fermentation? If so would it keep the still fermentation taste?
Would it lose the fermentation taste if used in fudge or honey cake?
I don't believe I can sell it so it is probably going to be for home consumption and I don't think I should trust putting it out for my bees.

You would need to heat it up enough to kill the yeast to stop it fermenting. The only trouble with heating it that much is it makes it unsalable due to the rise in H...thingies*. If you cooked with it you would lose the yeasty taste, so you could use it in cakes etc. Freezing it would slow down any fermentation in case cakes aren't a regular thing on your menu.

Frisbee

* Someone else will come on and say what the H thingies are :)

Surely if you freeze the 3 pots that'll stop the fermentation, and buy you time to use the honey in cooking at your leisure later.

Fermenting generates a bad taste into honey. Better to dumb away.
Life is not worth of some jars.

Boil it up with some mixed herbs.... cool ... add tea and apple juice... chick in some cider yeast... allow to ferment for a week, strain, add a quart of vodca and stick in fridge.
Metheglen?.... (Hic!}

Latest posts

Back