Sailing honey Round the world

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm providing jars of honey to a sailor who is undertaking a round the world yacht race he will be at sea for about 9 months and of course will be be going through the tropics twice.
I'm worried that it may start to ferment.
In the bilges, bubbling and leaking amongst all the stores.
Ooh it's nonstop so there will be a LOT of stores. Should I sterilise it by heating it to 65c or not?

Thats an intruiging question – but what percentage was it when it was bottled/jarred? Pasteurization will kill any yeast spores, but it also destroys the taste and fragrance components of the honey so if you do pasteurise it you/he may as well use supermarket honey.

I'm providing jars of honey to a sailor who is undertaking a round the world yacht race he will be at sea for about 9 months and of course will be be going through the tropics twice.
Ooh it's nonstop so there will be a LOT of stores. Should I sterilise it by heating it to 65c or not?
I hope you are providing unbreakable jars ..... I can't think that he's going to want the weight of glass or the prospect of a glass jar of honey breaking loose in the Southern Ocean ... it's bad enough when you get water in your bilges ... the prospect of honey and broken glass swilling about ... doesn't bear thinking about !

I'll find my strongest honey which is maybe 18% water content. I know that pasteurizing it will kill the taste etc.
I don't want to send him of with a potential problem though.

Honey packs very well in the vacuum packs you use for food. Just snip off the corner to dispense. It’s how I send mine to my daughter in Berlin.

Yo ho ho and a jar of booze?😵

Latest posts

Back