feral colony in compost bin

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wondervet

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
our local guru says he's extracted lots of colonies from compost bins so presume this isn't all that uncommon for you lot but couldn't resist posting our pics from last week since it's by far our most exciting beekeeping exploit thus far.

I was worried that the combs would be attached to both lid and sides so that when we twisted off the lid they'd all fall in a horrible mess on the floor. In the event there was a nice arc of comb hanging from the lid which came out with it and then 3 more concentric arcs of comb on the wall of the bin which remained in situ after the lid was lifted out.

View attachment 3554

View attachment 3555

View attachment 3556

wondervet

Thank you!

That second photo is the best I've ever seen re UK urban feral bees

Richard

very kind of you Richard. I was half expecting to get a ticking off for messing with them too early in the year!

roger

Well there is proof circular plastic frames seem to be the way to go next.
:sifone:

To be fair (in case he's reading this) the photo was actually taken by my mate Dan. That's yours truly in the photo sweltering in 3 layers of clothing in anticipation of getting a right pasting.

Wow!!! What a wonderful edifice. Can you just imagine that populated with bees brood and stores last summer.
Thanks for sharing.

Dont seem to be many bees there though.

I assume that if the compost bin had compost in it would be nice and warm..

Now, if you could get them to build comb in an extractor!!!!

Roger,

Your local guru sounds as though he also delivered Hovis on a bike to the WW1 trenches....probably just jealous he didn't have a mate with a camera!

that photo is classic!

Richard

Latest posts

Back