Feeding the brood for winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
HI ALL -IM STILL CONFUSED ABOUT FEEDING -I NEED TO UNDERSTAND IT IN LAY-MANS TERMS SO TO SPEAK- IVE READ ABOUT FEEDING ON THE FORUM BUT I NEED TO KNOW:

IVE BEEN MIXING 2:1 NOW WHEN WEIGHT IS MENTIONED IS IT AFTER YOUVE MADE THE MIX OF SYRUP? WHEN YOU MIX TO SYRUP -WHAT TEXTURE? MINES THICK BUT STILL RUNNY -I ALWAYS IMAGINE SYRUP TO BE MEGA THICK IN TEXTURE!

SOME IVE READ ADVISE A GALLON OF SYRUP -WHEN THEY ARE TAKING IT DOWN
WHERE ARE THEY PUTTING ALL THAT SYRUP? ESPECIALLY MY BROOD(SINGLE BROOD BOX) HAVE ALREADY 30LB OF HONEY STORE SO I CALCULATED ANOTHER 15LB SYRUP WOULD DO THEM THROUGH WINTER IS THAT ANOUGH?

SORRY FOR ALL THE QUESTIONS -JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE THE GIRLS DONT STARVE:willy_nilly:

For winter preparation feed you are correct in using 2:1.

So 2kg of sugar to 1 litre of water is the ratio. How much you make depends upon conditions but you will need a lot, perhaps 10 litres.

It still looks pretty 'watery.'

More room becomes available as brood decreases.

Last edited:
keep feeding until they stop taking.

even a couple of gallons will only provide around 10lb of sugar so realistically to achieve your target of extra stores you need around 2.5 gallons of 2:1 syrup minimum (and that assumes the bees don't consume a significant quantity without storing it).

wow - look at that - managed to stick to imperial throughout a post.

Last edited:
Your syrup will be a bit gloopy but still runny.
You'd be amazed where they'll put all the syrup - if you give them too much they'll just stop taking it down, as huntsman says as the brood reduces they'll have more room. Also if you have undrawn foundation they'll convert some of the syrup to wax
Remember at this time of the year they'll be feeding on some of the syrup .
My nuc has taken a gallon and a half already

keep feeding until they stop taking.

even a couple of gallons will only provide around 10lb of sugar so realistically to achieve your target of extra stores you need around 2.5 gallons of 2:1 syrup minimum (and that assumes the bees don't consume a significant quantity without storing it).

wow - look at that - managed to stick to imperial throughout a post.

:):hurray:

See the attachment pdf. You can overdo the feeding such that the Q has no space to layif she is still in the mood!!!!

thanks huntsman 666 your always there when i need u -bluesman

feeding solution

thanks all for your help with feeding my girls -bluesman

Latest posts

Back