Feeders on or off for winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ail901

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
should the feeders be taken off for winter with a view to feeding fondant directly onto frames when required, or best to leave on and feed via feeder?

I remove feeders (I left one on in my 1st season and it got a lot of mould in).
I put fondant, if needed, on top of the frames, though many put fondant over the hole in the crown board

all of my rapid feeders come off, cleaned and stored until next autumn.

'if' my hives need fondant (which I find is rare), it is put as close to the bees as possible.

One of my largest colony's suffered food separation last winter, despite having a large lump of fondant. I believe closer access to fondant, the better.

Some put fondant on early on top of an excluder so it is easy to lift when applying OA in late Dec. or in Jan. They usually do not feed syrup at the end of the season, just a large slab of fondant.
Others put fondant on top of frames at time of OA.

should the feeders be taken off for winter with a view to feeding fondant directly onto frames when required, or best to leave on and feed via feeder?

Feeders off, as feeding syrup is not appropriate until Springtime.
Fondant feeding should be IF required not WHEN.
Cazza

A Miller/Ashforth feeder upside down is a good eke for fondant. Right way up it's a good container for a bit of insulating material. And leaving it on the hive saves the bother of storing it anywhere else, which is as good a reason as any.

I understand that I shouldnt be feeding syrup now, just wondered re the feeder ( I have modified version of Ashforth Feeders which has seperate syrup / fondant areas)

Was thinking about the space and loss of heat via it, thanks for replys and welcome any other comments

... just wondered re the feeder ( I have modified version of Ashforth Feeders which has seperate syrup / fondant areas)

Was thinking about the space and loss of heat via it, thanks for replys and welcome any other comments

The answer may probably depend on your unusual feeder!

Unless there is clear benefit from its presence, my suggestion is that it would be better removed and replaced by a no-hole coverboard with high performance insulation (Celotex, Xtratherm, Recticel, etc) above it.
And deal with fondant feeding if or when the need arises. Your Dadant hives should have masses of storage space in the brood box...

thinking about the space and loss of heat via it

ail - spot on! remove and clean it. Any further feeding will be emergency fondant feeding - which I press as a flat sheet down onto the top of the frames.

The trick is knowing if they need fondant, hive weight is one guide and another is looking at the V. floor inset where you can see the cappings as the cluster moves around the brood box.
bonne chance
r

thinking about the space and loss of heat via it

ail - spot on! remove and clean it. Any further feeding will be emergency fondant feeding - which I press as a flat sheet down onto the top of the frames.

The trick is knowing if they need fondant, hive weight is one guide and another is looking at the V. floor inset where you can see the cappings as the cluster moves around the brood box.
bonne chance
r

Agree with you, I try not to feed fondant unless they are very light or trapped

MuswellM

How is it that feeding Fondant seems to now have become a normal part of UK Beekeeping procedure? I'd never even considered it until a talk by an expert at a bka monthly meeting approx 5 years ago.......

richard

MuswellM

How is it that feeding Fondant seems to now have become a normal part of UK Beekeeping procedure? I'd never even considered it until a talk by an expert at a bka monthly meeting approx 5 years ago.......

richard

Exactly what I was asking in a previous thread, I have been keeping bees for 50 odd years but I have never fed fondant in all of that time, only feeding sufficient thick syrup in September enough to last until the following March or thereabouts. It appears that in many cases it is put on hives after feeding syrup as a safety measure, when in reality it should only be used in an emergency in early spring when weather conditions are not suitable for syrup to be easily accessed and taken down.

Latest posts

Back