Feeder still on hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fahey

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15 national hives some 14x12 and 2 nucs
Yesterday I went to do the oxalic on a couple of hives and one was clustering nicely so did that one ok. The other still had a half full feeder on since October and quite a few bees were up feeding. When I went to remove it (and the crown board) the bees were all very active and started to come out, so I left it , they were even coming out the front to see what was going on. Question is, any advice on whether I should leave the feeder on, I was reluctant to disturb them this time of year and they seem fine.

If you are going back to treat with oxalic then remove the feeder.

I just left it on because it was almost full back in November and planned to take it off on Sunday, but the bees were really active and lots feeding as I said. I wasn't expecting them to be so active and not having my smoker ready, I decided not to disturb them any more than I had already. I always feed fondant this time of year if required and just wondered what the forum members thought about leaving the liquid feed on.

"I wasn't expecting them to be so active "

why not? temps haven't been particularly low. if it weren't for the rain they'd be flying most days.

Fahey

just wondered what the forum members thought about leaving the liquid feed on.

My suggestion is that you remove it ASAP and knock the bees that are huddling underneath off over the feed hole

Fahey

just wondered what the forum members thought about leaving the liquid feed on.

My suggestion is that you remove it ASAP and knock the bees that are huddling underneath off over the feed hole

That was my first reaction.....but thinking about it, why not leave it on? It is clearly doing no harm, they are using it, what harm can it do? The only reason I can see for taking it off would be to treat with oa, but as they are not clustered that is not likely to be happening yet!
I think I would leave them to finish it!
E

Enrico, mainly because they can't process syrup in the Winter but also because Fahey needs to tidy-up the hive for the Winter i.e. with a flat crownboard.....as there are all sorts of propolising and insulation problems with leaving a feeder in situ

strictly my own opinion of course !

It may well depend what the syrup is? One of the commercial inverted syrups ok, homemade 2-1 syrup with thymol perhaps ok, but just regular 2-1 syrup??????.

Giving the bees too much water in their winter food causes the runs, and the consequent unhygienic conditions can lead to greater problems ...
Honey - less than 20% water
Ambrosia - about 27% water
2:1 syrup - about 38% water
The difference matters.

I'd take it off, heft, and if needed, I'd supply some fondant.
Not the best idea to feed syrup through the winter.

Ambrosia could be re-bottled and stored for next Autumn.
Maybe another month or so before the keen ones will be thinking of feeding weak syrup to stimulate brooding by emulating an early flow.

It may well depend what the syrup is?

Tom, imho not really they are all too high water content for over-winter use in and there's still the problem of top insulation.....let alone access to trickle oxalic acid

and so it goes

Yes I agree Richard was working on the assumption that if the op decides to leave it on and it is just regular syrup then it may well have started to ferment and will be bad for the bees

Back