Farmers market

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ely

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I'm selling honey for £5 for one or 2 for £9

I have 170 jars to sell.

For those with experience of farmers markets, how many £5 notes do you generally take with you?

I know a lot of people hand over a tenner. If everyone bought 1 jar, with a tenner, that would be a stupid amount of £5 notes I would need to take with me.

I just thought it would be nice to hear from experience

Fifty quids worth of fivers will be loads!
You will probably end up with loads of coins even then!
E

I'm selling honey for £5 for one or 2 for £9

I have 170 jars to sell.

For those with experience of farmers markets, how many £5 notes do you generally take with you?

I know a lot of people hand over a tenner. If everyone bought 1 jar, with a tenner, that would be a stupid amount of £5 notes I would need to take with me.

I just thought it would be nice to hear from experience

I would have said £5.50 each, two for a tenner.

Just got back from the market. Sold about 20 jars. Seemed busy in the first hour and dropped off as the time passed. The stall next to me sold homemade cakes andnhe more or less sold out. I enjoyed the experience

Next time take loads of food made with honey, fudge, honey cake, honey and ginger cake, etc. as well as your honey. It draws the crowds!
E

Just got back from the market. Sold about 20 jars. Seemed busy in the first hour and dropped off as the time passed. The stall next to me sold homemade cakes andnhe more or less sold out. I enjoyed the experience

So ... Was it worthwhile ? 20 jars then is £100 in round terms .. not a huge return when you take into account travelling, your time, stall cost etc. Is there anything that you learned that might make things better ? ... if it was local did you do anything to secure some future orders from those people who bought your honey ? I'm not deriding your efforts but I'm sure there's a lot of us on here who have ambitions to sell honey at some point .. any tips you have will be very welcomed I would imagine ...

What feedback did you get from the tasters and regarding pricing?

I thought it was worthwhile. Enjoyed chatting to a few people. A few locals now have my number and know where I live. I was thinking about doing fudge next time and improving my display including photos of the hives and extraction. If I were to go to every market people would get used to me being there. As for pricing. I saw a few raised eyebrows and over heard 'cheaper in tescoes' that annoyed me but you'll always get that type that don't have a clue a out the difference in quality. I'd like to go to a few others but I'm off to grim Derby tomorrow for uni.

What feedback did you get from the tasters and regarding pricing?

I didn't do tasters this time as I forgot to provide some kind of dipper. I will next time though.

I don't think 20 jars for a first time farmers' market is bad going. Well done. Tasters do make the difference. I've just finished at Conwy Honey Fair. The day was sunny, it was a Saturday and very busy but all the beekeepers I talked to agreed that we all sold less than last year. I didn't make enough fudge or candles so sold out of those pretty quickly. Cut comb went well though.

I don't think 20 jars for a first time farmers' market is bad going. Well done. Tasters do make the difference. I've just finished at Conwy Honey Fair. The day was sunny, it was a Saturday and very busy but all the beekeepers I talked to agreed that we all sold less than last year. I didn't make enough fudge or candles so sold out of those pretty quickly. Cut comb went well though.

Good to hear. I'll have to try cut comb at some point.

Dont forget if you are selling anything else food wise there are different regs that have to be followed.

Latest posts

Back