Face book groups

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use Face Book Beekeeping groups.

• I do not use FB for beekeeping

Votes: 65 60.2%
  • I do and use one group

Votes: 14 13.0%
  • I do and use multiple FB Beekeeping groups

Votes: 29 26.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We use Facebook for our recently formed Local Beekeepers Support Group.

It helps to remind folks when our Pub meets are, and once we get into inspection season it will also be used to let members know when we will be inspecting so they can come and observe/get involved as appropriate.

I follow beerkeepers group.. :cheers2:

I never had FB account, once I made profile google+ account to see what is it. Don't use it..
Now when you mentioned, maybe will see how it looks on google+.. That will be winter project :D

There is also R/beekeeping on Reddit. It is very US based though.

I bleedin' hate FB, I've several abandoned accounts on there and I object to their insistance on providing them with a mobile number.

There are a couple of local groups ( one bee related, one Sci communication ) that don't send out their social meet details any other way so I've had set up yet another account just to check meeting details. It's suprisingly hard to set up a Fb account with a fake name these days.

Is that a new thing, a recent requirement?

No. I've got a mobile number on my account but they pestered me for my full name and then when they'd got that they shut my account until I provided them with ID as to who I was. I did assume it was related to having some nutters stalk me on Fb before that rather than an everyday thing. I am the only person I know who has been asked to do the ID thing.

No. I've got a mobile number on my account but they pestered me for my full name and then when they'd got that they shut my account until I provided them with ID as to who I was. I did assume it was related to having some nutters stalk me on Fb before that rather than an everyday thing. I am the only person I know who has been asked to do the ID thing.

Opened an account a few years ago, didn't require a mobile phone number then, I don't have a mobile phone, those things I really detest.

FB has asked for my number several times. I just ignore it.

FB has asked for my number several times. I just ignore it.

Had an E-form the other day with compulsory section requiring Mobile number.

Typed in "00000 000 000"

Let me continue without challenge. :winner1st:

I am the only person I know who has been asked to do the ID thing.

It usually means they think your name is unusual and want proof ( Though Jenny Taylier slipped through unchallenged )

When you set up an account FB now insists on texting a code to the mobile number you provide that has to be copied over. 'course you just have to have physical access to a phone for a couple of minutes - it doesn't actually have to be yours....

It usually means they think your name is unusual and want proof ( Though Jenny Taylier slipped through unchallenged )

When you set up an account FB now insists on texting a code to the mobile number you provide that has to be copied over. 'course you just have to have physical access to a phone for a couple of minutes - it doesn't actually have to be yours....

It's not that unusual. Well I don't think it is.
There's a huge number of people with completely made up names who seem to be able to go unchallenged.

It's not that unusual. Well I don't think it is.
There's a huge number of people with completely made up names who seem to be able to go unchallenged.

In that case you must be totally untrustworthy and deceitful.

I wonder if FB has been talking to certain people?

(Before anyone takes offence at this, Alldigging and I are good friends and this is an in-joke at the moment)

Andy:sorry:

Here in Newfoundland and Labrador our beekeeping association has tried the following methods of communication with the membership and the general public - broadcast email, a LISTSERV, a BBS (like this one), a public FB group and a secret FB group for the members only. Problems encountered include the fact that many members boycott FB, while others don't like the BBS. The BBS lacks some of the functionality of FB. The LISTSERV was not interactive and some people complained that they were getting bombed with messages of low interest to them (they asked to be removed). Getting everyone to use the same communications medium has proved impossible, so we use mostly a mix of FB, BBS, and broadcast email. We ditched the LISTSERV. A couple of members want us to use Twitter! Where does it end???

Here in Newfoundland and Labrador our beekeeping association has tried the following methods of communication with the membership and the general public - broadcast email, a LISTSERV, a BBS (like this one), a public FB group and a secret FB group for the members only. Problems encountered include the fact that many members boycott FB, while others don't like the BBS. The BBS lacks some of the functionality of FB. The LISTSERV was not interactive and some people complained that they were getting bombed with messages of low interest to them (they asked to be removed). Getting everyone to use the same communications medium has proved impossible, so we use mostly a mix of FB, BBS, and broadcast email. We ditched the LISTSERV. A couple of members want us to use Twitter! Where does it end???

If I were I'd use mailchimp to create two lists, urgent and casual - that way people can add or remove themselves whenever they want.

I am in about 4 beekeeping groups on facebook ( not much difference to what we get on here)

Back