Extractor sale

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dared

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
now 6!
Are the Abelo honey extractors any good? they are selling a 12 frame radial electric for GBP 760 and 20 frame for GBP 799 which seems a good deal.

Are the Abelo honey extractors any good? they are selling a 12 frame radial electric for GBP 760 and 20 frame for GBP 799 which seems a good deal.

We have one and really like it,never had a problem with it either
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Seems a bit of overkill for 2 hives, have you looked at Giordan, electric drill 8 frame very good and about £400

I keep thinking about buying one but not at those prices for my 2 jars.
I notice that the cost of the T****s ones jumped by about £60.

I have 2, 20 framers they run fine but my only issue is that the motors not really strong enough so when/if they let go I will replace them with a bigger ones.
Ab

I have 2, 20 framers they run fine but my only issue is that the motors not really strong enough so when/if they let go I will replace them with a bigger ones.
Ab

Press and hold STOP button and change settings C1 to C10 and H1 to H10 (I have one and love it! )

Press and hold STOP button and change settings C1 to C10 and H1 to H10 (I have one and love it! )

I agree, even after being shown how to do this when I collected it, it took me a while to cotton on that you could change settings so easily. Maybe my only complaint about the extractor should be the lack of a manual!
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Seems a bit of overkill for 2 hives, have you looked at Giordan, electric drill 8 frame very good and about £400

Hi looked at them but not too keen on the drill driven idea as prefer direct motor driven one and as this has automatic speed control as well seems a good deal. Appreciate probably a 12 or 20 frame is a little over the top at the minute but with beekeeping things can grow fast so rather only buy once if I can :)

Hi looked at them but not too keen on the drill driven idea as prefer direct motor driven one and as this has automatic speed control as well seems a good deal. ...

Umm. "Automatic" ?
I thought it had 10 speed settings - click-stopped so to speak.
I must say that I rather like the not-click-stopped (fully adjustable) speed control on mine.

An extractor is a big lump to store (hygienically) from one extraction season to the next. And a 20-frame jobby is going to be a BIG lump. Better check (ahead of time) that it will fit through any doorways that you might want it to!
Also, the bigger the extractor, the more honey gets left behind, stuck to the extractor! This isn't too much of a problem for the 100-hive man, but its going to impact your yield if you are just trying to extract a couple of supers....

Motors and controllers do occasionally fail.
The thing with the drill-powered option is that you can fix it yourself, quickly and cheaply by just buying (or borrowing) another drill. When you want your extractor, you do not want to be waiting while bits are sent away. And I would also suggest that it looks as though the vendor might be the only source for spares and repairs to the controller (I'd expect the motor to be pretty generic).

Second-hand extractors sell for a very high proportion of their new price.
You would lose surprisingly little if you bought a serious-hobby (9-frame radial) model and decided after a few years that you needed a bee-farmers' version (20 frames or so).

Looking for extractor need to purchase for the future not the present.

Forgot to say that annoyingly I can't extract from a commercial brood frame as it isn't big enough.

I have just realised that by using a couple of cake cooling racks (250mm*400mm) strategically placed inside my radial extractor I can turn it into a tangential extractor and can therefore extract up to four commercial brood frames at a time. Feeling rather pleased about that!

Am looking to greatly increase my hives next year and therefore buying an extractor as an investment. I can't decide whether to go for the 8 frame Girodan or the larger 12 frame Abelo... anyone got any feedback on either. I've looked through the forum for people's views but cant find any recent comments... Obviously the 12 frame has got a better capacity and is cheaper but I don't know much about Abelo, i've read good things about the Giordans.

Hi I have just purchased the 8 frame optima line version for my birthday from abelo it turned up on pallet and I think the quality is good I had a deal with them out of eBay to save fees I also have 3 of ther langstroth poly hives and find them great to deal with hope this helps

Hi I have just purchased the 8 frame optima line version for my birthday from abelo it turned up on pallet and I think the quality is good I had a deal with them out of eBay to save fees I also have 3 of ther langstroth poly hives and find them great to deal with hope this helps

thankyou Blackie, that helped make my mind up.

Extractors

The above very interesting, have been looking for radial 9 frame extractor for a while. Is there any advantage for a forward & reverse electric motor (th----) lot more expensive as opposed to single direction elec: motor?

The above very interesting, have been looking for radial 9 frame extractor for a while. Is there any advantage for a forward & reverse electric motor (th----) lot more expensive as opposed to single direction elec: motor?

No not really, they work perfectly well in one direction (that well known beekeeping boy band!!)

Latest posts

Back