Extractor on Ebay.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
I'd be tempted to spend the extra 50 quid or so and buy a decent plastic one from one of the know retailers.

I keep thinking about making my own. I've got the winding gear. Just need to source a food grade bin.
I used to deliver to food factories and there was always stacks of buckets in their yards. None of the factories are near me tho.

I keep thinking about making my own. I've got the winding gear. Just need to source a food grade bin.
I used to deliver to food factories and there was always stacks of buckets in their yards. None of the factories are near me tho.

If they are over this way I'm happy to pop along and pick them up if I can have a couple for my use DM?? Let me know

It is what it is, a cheap extractor for four frames, who knows how long will it last but everything has a 12 month guarantee at least, The seller has not been given any neg feedbacks for the eight sold only for his fruit press

If they are over this way I'm happy to pop along and pick them up if I can have a couple for my use DM?? Let me know

Somewhere I used to go in Cardiff. Long time ago. Probably closed or changed its name.

for its price its very good value, all my extractors have come from germany , all due to the rediculas prices people are willing to pay in the uk. my last one was a 9 frame extractor and came from germany, i also collected it in person due to the massive saving i was making and the need to have a weekend away with the with, cost was three years ago £200 all in,

if you go to ebay in german there are hundreds of these for sale.

mine had made in germany on it so some might be chinese some maybe not

Mine was also from Germany. I paid £186+£30 postage for a 8 frame extractor. Very please with it. I just want a cage for 14x122 frames.

if you go to ebay in german there are hundreds of these for sale.

I had a look on the German site and most of those on there at present appear to look much the same as the one I showed above. Higher prices tho.

Hi,

I've bought one of these, it is Chinese in origin, but seems very sturdy.

All the metal work is stainless steel (including the frame cage) except the gears & gear housing & the wing nut on the bottom gate valve
The gears are metal so I would expect they'll last better than nylon
All the welds look well finished

It came in an angle iron protective metal cage further protected by cardboard & polystyrene. Delivery was prompt

I haven't used it as yet so can't tell you how it fairs in practice I've only connected the handle & given it a few spins & it seemed balanced enough,
Therefore, so far I am impressed

A lower set metal gate valve would have been ideal but for the money I can't complain

the thing is once you have the extractor like mine you can all ways improve on it.

my old one started life as some thing like this. i then added an electric motor and controler, i had a better leg set made for it on site when i found some scrap stainless steel angle once and replaced a few nuts and bolts with new stainless ones when i had the chance.

there are three issues with making your own.
1, finding a barrel or chamber of some form
2, finding an extractor frame
3, tools and skill sets to make it

most people go for a food grade plastic barrel as a chamber, i have seen people use stainless steel 220litre barrels as a chamber, £250 each to buy new, thick and strong just have a flat base thats all, some people buy in a made one they have had someone make for them, some people the lucky gits can make there own barrel type chamber

2, the frame , the easy way out is to buy the replacement one sold by "that company whos name we do not speak of" about £100 ish or some where like that they will also sell the gears as well. you could buy the gears from a engineer supply firm and weld the stainless steel bar frame up your self if you have the tools

3, as for this i would need to spend thousands on tools sheds to build it in and training, all to make a £200 extractor. for me i am better off buying one in from new

there are three issues with making your own.
1, finding a barrel or chamber of some form
2, finding an extractor frame
3, tools and skill sets to make it

Delete 3 and 2,.. half of 1 and I've cracked it........

Trying to make extractor is just a waste of time.

5 hives; 110lb (50kg) x 5 = 250kg honey

250kg x £4.5/kg = £1125 (new extractor + few new hives)

Trying to make extractor is just a waste of time.

5 hives; 110lb (50kg) x 5 = 250kg honey

250kg x £4.5/kg = £1125 (new extractor + few new hives)
True, but not relevant if you dont sell your honey.

There in half your time if honey sold at sensible price. I will buy off you at that price and make 100% profit.
But up of 5 hives I would go for electric extractor. Quicker, not hard work, and extract more honey. I did -and very pleased with results.

I only extract the honey that I want for myself and friends and family. If they want some they have to supply the jar.

Think I did 6 frames last year. Not quite 3 Kilner jars.

I found this You Tube video, (one of many)
I note he makes a big deal about food grade bearings, when I dont see that the trash can is likely to be food grade.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiQrSuaSaVg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiQrSuaSaVg[/ame]

Latest posts

Back