Extractor on Ebay.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this You Tube video, (one of many)
I note he makes a big deal about food grade bearings, when I dont see that the trash can is likely to be food grade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiQrSuaSaVg

If you use ordinary bearings that are not sealed and filled with grease when the bucket fills up over the bearings the grease will contaminate the honey, also fragments of bearing lubricants can fall from the top bearing into your honey

If you use ordinary bearings that are not sealed and filled with grease when the bucket fills up over the bearings the grease will contaminate the honey, also fragments of bearing lubricants can fall from the top bearing into your honey

In many food process plants use of food grade grease is mandated where a risk exists. Oil seals make an effective barrier to bits of collapsing bearings but I agree sealed bearings should be used AND regularly inspected before use.

For a good reason when using a radial extractor the frames sit in the extractor with the top bar at the outer edge.. does anybody have experience of how well the honey would spin out if the top bar of the frame was against the central spindle?

If you look at the way the frame is constructed and how centrifugal force acts on it when in an extractor you will notice that it actually compresses the frame together, if you put the frame the other way the forces will be pulling it apart

So Redwood, doesn't that mean that it's actually centripetal forces rather than centrifugal?

Trying to make extractor is just a waste of time.

5 hives; 110lb (50kg) x 5 = 250kg honey

250kg x £4.5/kg = £1125 (new extractor + few new hives)

£2.25 a lb? You must be kidding.

If you look at the way the frame is constructed and how centrifugal force acts on it when in an extractor you will notice that it actually compresses the frame together, if you put the frame the other way the forces will be pulling it apart

Hadnt thought of that but a support would solve that problem.
I was thinking more about how well the honey would flow.

For a good reason when using a radial extractor the frames sit in the extractor with the top bar at the outer edge.. does anybody have experience of how well the honey would spin out if the top bar of the frame was against the central spindle?

Comb cells slope slightly upwards so the top bars being outwards from the axis will clear the honey from the cells. If they are mounted top inwards a small amount of their content will remain trapped in the cells.

2.25 a pound is probably more than most commercial guys get in bulk. First honey coop were offering 1.95 per lb last autumn.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

a small amount of their content will remain trapped in the cells.
but is that small amount significant if one is only doing say 12 frames a year?

So Redwood, doesn't that mean that it's actually centripetal forces rather than centrifugal?

Only if you go around a corner :D .............. Sorry but I've had enough arguments about centripetal and centrifugal forces to last me a life time, I just say whatever these days

Trying to make extractor is just a waste of time.

5 hives; 110lb (50kg) x 5 = 250kg honey

250kg x £4.5/kg = £1125 (new extractor + few new hives)

Not at all, some like the challenge and have the enginuity to do so, I'm quite pleased with mine :)

I have had the winding mechanism/gears and inner frame (12 deep) for quite some time but it has only just occured to me that I could have use both of those and built a wooden box for the frame to fit in..................
You think of extractor and you think of something round.

Latest posts

Back