Grafting. anyone tried these?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those who don't have the cash to splash:

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homecraft-Magnifier-with-Neck-Cord/dp/B004FI1NAY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391442617&sr=8-2&keywords=neck+magnifying+glass"]Homecraft Magnifier with Neck Cord: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care[/ame]

I use mine closer to my eyes than shown in the image: for very fine work, it makes all the difference - I can see again!

You can get one with a light, if required.

You could try searching for "headband magnifier" on the auction site. Starting at around 6 or 7 pounds from the far east. I have tried similar for varroa and eggs etc. I find it easier to go with the highest number reading glasses you can find in the pound shop. They will get sat on, dropped, scratched etc.; OK so mine will, and then it's another pound.

The difficulty with these things and grafting is that they have a specific point of focus which doesnt necessarily coincide with that needed for convenient grafting.

I assume it uses cree technology or cold light? you dont want fried eggs

Not thought about frying eggs with it!
I have ordered one and will let you know how it goes.
Thanks for replies
S

What is the focal length of this loupe?

Most of the images of the simple magnifier seem to suggest 15cm or 6" or so in old money

the op's instrument suggests,
Convenient 420mm Working Distance, again some 16" in the imperial system.

its probable this is meant to indicate the focal length it also suggests that it has a larger depth of field also, whether that geometry works for the process of grafting is possibly a personal judgment, but clearly a good point to have to consider.

Ever ready LED head torch and 2.5 diopter reading glasses do the trick for me. If you buy one of the white and red LED torches you can use the red lights while adding queen cells to mini nucs in the dark.

Not thought about frying eggs with it!
I have ordered one and will let you know how it goes.
Thanks for replies
S

If you use a tool with traditional lighting ie non cree then switch it on and hold it against the back of your hand you will note it warms up quickly. way beyond that that will damage the eggs. Cree technology is cool light ie no heat is emitted hence better.

If you use a tool with traditional lighting ie non cree then switch it on and hold it against the back of your hand you will note it warms up quickly. way beyond that that will damage the eggs. Cree technology is cool light ie no heat is emitted hence better.

Many thanks, I use Cree lamps and torches a lot but hadn't considered that the headlight might create excessive heat. I have ordered one and will test it before subjecting my grafts to it. If it does create too much heat I may look at changing the lamp for a Cree as I have several spares were leads have failed
S

Cree Technology . . . LEDs . . . try these and a PP3 9V battery if necessary. Then you have a spare and enough to make eight friends very happy.

You get to choose your supplier!

They are an array of 24 LEDs (80mW each) and are an inch (25.4mm) in diameter, rated at 12V 2W. Any perceived heat in your hand is unlikely to affect the light and is most probably produced by current limiting resistors on the back.

Cree is a leading light in LED technology . . . as witnessed by the price. You can have bright lights, leading edge technology or high prices. You get to choose any two!

Arrived today and been wondering around the office like a one eyed Borg!

The optics are good and the best magnification seems to be just about right for removing grubs from a frame too. The light looks good with no detectable heat and can be adjusted.
Role on the spring when I can really test them.
S
PS I didn't get clobbered with import duty either which surprised me!

Thought I would update after using on my first grafts of the year.. They take a little getting used to but work a treat and give a good clear view.
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Arrived today and been wondering around the office like a one eyed Borg!

The optics are good and the best magnification seems to be just about right for removing grubs from a frame too. The light looks good with no detectable heat and can be adjusted.
Role on the spring when I can really test them.
S
PS I didn't get clobbered with import duty either which surprised me!

I would rather have a picture of Seven of Nine please..

Was the best reason to watch the programme, whatever happened to her and don't say assimilated :spy:
S

Jeri Ryan is now in Body of Proof and Helix - both now showing on TV..

images

Latest posts

Back