Extermination advise

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
hi Guys. I am new to the forum and am sorry to start with this post. I have been asked to remove a colony that has taken up residence in the cavity of a clay brick wall. A previous colony was removed successfully last year. I have tried to remove this colony by breaking up part of the wall but was not able to get the queen. I am in Cape Town South Africa and our unique bee is smaller than most and finding a young queen can be difficult at the best of times. In the wall is the main electrical box and it seems that the queen has moved across or under the box and I am not able to break any ore of the wall down without major expense to have it rebuilt. The wall is a boundary wall and is at the entrance to a small school. 2 children have been stung in the last week and the bees need now need to be killed. So my question is, what would the quickest and most effective way be? I am considering petrol (gasoline) but am open to any advise. They have many small entrances in the wall at different levels. I do not think the soapy water option will work as I can not see the inside the wall and will not be able to wet enough of them. Will the fumes of the petrol kill them? Any advise is welcome. I am planning to do it after dark. Thanks

I am considering petrol (gasoline) but am open to any advise.

Will the fumes of the petrol kill them?

Not as quickly as the explosion when a spark from "the main electrical box" ignites the fumes filling the house!

:eek:
Neither safe or environmentally friendly! :nono::nono:

:facts:Petrol is explosive when mixed 7% in air
ie. When some crazy fool pours it into a rabbit burrow! :svengo:

Last edited:
Would Jeyes Fluid work? I think Bendiocarb is restricted to license purchase only.

Would Jeyes Fluid work? I think Bendiocarb is restricted to license purchase only.

Jeyes fluid is a disinfectant not a pesticide, bendiocarb can be found on Ebay with no licence required, look up Ficam W or Ficam D, it is odourless and you have no chance of blowing yourself up or burning the building down.

Thanks for the info. I have just returned from the site and used Jeyes Fluid, I am hoping that the smell will drive them off. I will have a look in the morning and see whats happening.

. . .I have just returned from the site and used Jeyes Fluid, I am hoping that the smell will drive them off. .

Drive them something for sure. . . . . . . . . . Probably wild and into a stinging frenzy! :bump:

Trickle them with Oxallic acid made up in a nice sucrose solution... kills 40% of UK colonies.. year in , year out!!

Yeghes da

Trickle them with Oxallic acid made up in a nice sucrose solution... kills 40% of UK colonies.. year in , year out!!

Yeghes da

Now that made me laugh, nearly sprayed my coffee all over the work surface!
E

Yeghes da

But isn't it deadlier in the freezing depths of winter.

Also :iagree: about the coffee spraying emoticon, so glad I wasn't drinking when I read the post.

Across the pond, in a hive, some folk use a hot smoker and add sulphur powder.
I've never tried it.

Do look up persistence of these poisons suggested. The site must be made inpenetrable for potential robbing bees or you may find yourself in very ' hot water' if other bee colonies are affected.

Last edited:
hi Guys. I am new to the forum and am sorry to start with this post. I have been asked to remove a colony that has taken up residence in the cavity of a clay brick wall. A previous colony was removed successfully last year. I have tried to remove this colony by breaking up part of the wall but was not able to get the queen. I am in Cape Town South Africa and our unique bee is smaller than most and finding a young queen can be difficult at the best of times. In the wall is the main electrical box and it seems that the queen has moved across or under the box and I am not able to break any ore of the wall down without major expense to have it rebuilt. The wall is a boundary wall and is at the entrance to a small school. 2 children have been stung in the last week and the bees need now need to be killed. So my question is, what would the quickest and most effective way be? I am considering petrol (gasoline) but am open to any advise. They have many small entrances in the wall at different levels. I do not think the soapy water option will work as I can not see the inside the wall and will not be able to wet enough of them. Will the fumes of the petrol kill them? Any advise is welcome. I am planning to do it after dark. Thanks

Presumably the "main electrical box" is the intake meter point? As such is there any switching equipment within that may operate and create a spark or ignite petrol fumes while you are carrying out the operation? Subject to SA Electrical regulatory requirements and enclosure standards petrol fumes might be a possible course of action.
Alternatively if you have access to the product "beequick" it might be effective in driving the bees out of the location.
All things considered I'd get a suitable builder involved, possibly loaning a bee suit and open up the wall as far as is necessary
Don't forget to make sure future scouts don't find the cavity in future and consider it a refurbishable des res.

Latest posts

Back