European Foulbrood Suspected

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why on Earth didn’t he have a pocket full of tests? He could have at least put your mind at rest there and then. ..... a bit.
Best of luck. It’s a horrid position to be in.

Not sure how long it’ll take to get the results. He is posting the samples somewhere and said it’s being analysed/processed by one lady who works couple days a week...

They are worried about false negatives.

Our SBI told us there was a problem with the efb lateral flow tests last year, she had a hive that she was convinced had efb but the test was negative, she raised her concerns and the result was that a whole batch of tests were withdrawn.

Any efb/afb tests bought this year will work perfectly well I am sure.

Positive EFB

Received the results today. Positive for EFB on all 3 samples taken (3 different colonies).
They emailed me the results letter and standstill notice. That’s it, no further communications or instructions at this point...

Received the results today. Positive for EFB on all 3 samples taken (3 different colonies).
They emailed me the results letter and standstill notice. That’s it, no further communications or instructions at this point...

Oh dear... not good news. Best of luck with the way forward. Let's hope they can be saved.

Hope it’s not too bad an outbreak that can be sorted without anything drastic. It’s news we all dread and you deserve full praise for noticing and notifying the outbreak, hats off to you!
S

So sorry about the results. You have to console yourself with being a good beekeeper as most don't even know their colonies have got it!

Thanks everyone.

I’ll prepare the equipment and get on with fixing this. I’m planning on shook swarms (with flow going on for the next 2-3 weeks).

I’m planning on shook swarms (with flow going on for the next 2-3 weeks).

Sorry to hear the news, Guy.
They usually recommend shook swarming if the colony infection is less than 20%; above that it becomes destruction. Trick is to feed and build the shook swarms before wasps and robbers become active.

Elation and then dismay...
They usually recommend shook swarming if the colony infection is less than 20%; above that it becomes destruction. Trick is to feed and build the shook swarms before wasps and robbers become active.

Me too... sad and harsh.. best to destroy them

Apiary last inspection over three weeks ago, one colony had dwindled away, intention was to replace with a nuc that was earmarked for that site, so empty hive left with frames in left in place.
Elation as noticed a lot of bees taking in pollen into the once empty hive... a swarm had moved in
We made this the first colony to be inspected by SBI... first frame with brood looked very much like sack brood, but a bit gloopy.... tested for EFB with LFD.. POSITIVE
looked further through the colony to find an unclipped and blue marked queen.
Apiary notes showed all queens seen at my last inspection.. light green and clipped( decided to clip all the queens in this apiary as had a helper with me)
Checked all other colonys.. queens seen and all ok.

Just got in from treating the unwelcome swarm with a good dose of petrol.... after driving 20 miles to a swarm call near to another of my apiary sites to find a "Master" beekeeper already attempting to bag them!!!
Will destroy frames in a fire pit tomorrow.
Shook swarm for EFB is not the way forward.
Now have a standstill notice and the probability of having the SBI with me for a few weeks to check the remaining 150 colonies.

And we have a clown in the area selling swarms he has captured for £100.

Words fail me
Dismay

Chons da

Last edited:

I agree, because with shook swarming EFB may pop up again in following seasons. Destruction may seem blunt, but we're managing livestock and must be ruthless. The pity is that destruction for a two-colony beekeeper will put them out of business.

Elation and then dismay...

Me too... sad and harsh.. best to destroy them

Apiary last inspection over three weeks ago, one colony had dwindled away, intention was to replace with a nuc that was earmarked for that site, so empty hive left with frames in left in place.
Elation as noticed a lot of bees taking in pollen into the once empty hive... a swarm had moved in
We made this the first colony to be inspected by SBI... first frame with brood looked very much like sack brood, but a bit gloopy.... tested for EFB with LFD.. POSITIVE
looked further through the colony to find an unclipped and blue marked queen.
Apiary notes showed all queens seen at my last inspection.. light green and clipped( decided to clip all the queens in this apiary as had a helper with me)
Checked all other colonys.. queens seen and all ok.

Just got in from treating the unwelcome swarm with a good dose of petrol.... after driving 20 miles to a swarm call near to another of my apiary sites to find a "Master" beekeeper already attempting to bag them!!!
Will destroy frames in a fire pit tomorrow.
Now have a standstill notice and the probability of having the SBI with me for a few weeks to check the remaining 150 colonies.

And we have a clown in the area selling swarms he has captured for £100.

Words fail me
Dismay

Chons da
Hard line's but well done for spotting it, hopefully you've nipped it in the bud.

Back