European Foulbrood Suspected

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone, good tips.

Bee inspector called today, full apiary inspection booked for Tue next week.

They must be very busy up your way. Horrible to have to wait. Stay calm, what will be will be, but fingers crossed. x

They must be very busy up your way. Horrible to have to wait. Stay calm, what will be will be, but fingers crossed. x

Thanks 😊

Not much I can do at this point. I try not to stress over things I can’t control.

Bee inspector asked today if I want to join him on Tue, of course I said yes. Might as well learn from this experience.

Thanks 😊

Not much I can do at this point. I try not to stress over things I can’t control.

Bee inspector asked today if I want to join him on Tue, of course I said yes. Might as well learn from this experience.

You will have to "socially distance" unless of course the inspector is one of your "bubble":rules::laughing-smiley-014

Chons da

No, not part of my bubble last time I checked. Of course, social distancing permitting.

Hope all goes well for you onTuesady.
We have just had BI check hives, he was very complimentary about the bees and stores they had accrued. BI was very aware of the need to social distance but I helped stack all the supers to help.
S

Thanks 😊

Absolutely. He can leave out what he wants you to look at.

Absolutely. He can leave out what he wants you to look at.

I would if you could, I always learn something new when bees are checked and the inspectors I have met have been very approachable.
Even if you have FB, they will be very sympathetic and help you as much as possible.
S

SBIs are truly there to help. They are real gentlemen. Enjoy!

Where my bees are North of London they're within flying distance of plenty of borage, but I heard yesterday that beefarmers are coming from as far as the West Country, Nottingham and Scotland to join the party. Great way to spread disease, but there you go. Last year someone brought bees to the same place for the same crop and brought EFB with them.

Update: NBU alert today confirms an EFB outbreak 3km from my bees in Epping for the second year in a row. Hope those coming from afar for the borage think again.

I was speaking to my SBI and he confirmed there's been several cases of EFB in Dorset this year already.:(

I had a small colony last year (size of a mini-plus box) that had something that looked suspiciously like EFB. (I've had EFB within 3 km of be in the past so had purchased a couple of test kits as a precaution). I used the test kit and it proved negative, so a sigh of relief. The best description would probably be addled brood - something that you don't read about much but was mentioned in older books as a brood disease. With my little colony, the queen was obviously faulty and she was superceded a week or so after my inspections.

BI was in today and we inspected my apiary. 2-3 colonies looking suspicious. He took samples and said they’ll be in touch once those are back and confirmed one way or the other.
He did say they’re massively understaffed. He actually came off retirement and doing part time.
I’m hearing another apiary about 1/2mi away has EFB confirmed...

:(
Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks Steve. Whatever it is, something isn’t right in this colony. At this point I’m hoping it’s just this one...

My biosecurity will be a lot more strict from now on. A bit deflating but I’m determined to use this unpleasant experience as an opportunity to improve things going forward.

BI was in today and we inspected my apiary. 2-3 colonies looking suspicious. He took samples and said they’ll be in touch once those are back and confirmed one way or the other.
He did say they’re massively understaffed. He actually came off retirement and doing part time.
I’m hearing another apiary about 1/2mi away has EFB confirmed...

Why on Earth didn’t he have a pocket full of tests? He could have at least put your mind at rest there and then. ..... a bit.
Best of luck. It’s a horrid position to be in.

Back