Eucalyptus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beesand

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
13 Hives, 7 Nucs
My bees had a bit of a late boost going into winter in the form of a huge eucalyptus tree that flowered in early November approximately 50 yards from thier hive. The tree literally hummed all day long for 2-3 weeks with the sound of bees, they were over it like a rash from dawn til dusk collecting pollen etc.

The tree has since shed its bark and I've collected some up and I wonder if it will be any good as smoker fuel, has anybody else used this please

some parts of eucalyptus is poisonous so I wouldn't risk it

Leaf or Bark Ingestion
If the leaf or bark of a eucalyptus tree is ingested in a small amounts, symptoms can include vomiting, nausea and diarrhea. In large amounts, the reaction is toxic and can lead to coma or death.

Leaf or Bark Skin Exposure
If skin touches the leaf or bark of a eucalyptus tree, symptoms may include redness, burning and irritation. Skin irritation is minor and lasts only a few minutes.

Eucalyptus Oil Ingestion
If a large amount of eucalyptus oil is swallowed, various symptoms can include shallow or rapid breathing, difficulty swallowing, pinpoint pupils, a burning sensation in the mouth, rapid or weak heartbeat, muscle weakness, drowsiness, unconsciousness, dizziness, seizures, slurred speech, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

The above is for humans

Amazing flowers
There is a large specimen in our neighbour's garden; I have never seen a flower on it.

Last edited:
????

Well as for a previous post about poison etc, Ive been using eucalyptus bark for the last two years for the smoker, didnt seem to have any ill effects at all.
Unfortunatly the tree had to come down last year due to rot in the trunk, and it was only about 15ft from the house it had been up for 30 years so had become a danger to foundations of the house and its structure if it fell over.
Shame to loose its pollen supply though. We also had to take a weeping willow down the year before. However there are plenty of other willows and other trees around here so the bees wont go short. I'll probably plant something else to replace them later in the year. As for the question about the bark use, I must admit i'd picked up another similar post of not so much as a poison but more of anasthetic properties to Eucalyptus than anything else, but to be safe, perhaps best not to use it, seems a shame though and it smelt nice whilst burning.

Dave W

To be on the safe side I'll throw the bark away and just let the bees enjoy the flowers should it decide to flower again this year. I must admit, I don't ever recall it flowering before last November but in fairness I never really looked at it before the bees brought it to my attention :)

lol have a tree 10 feet from my hives, never seen a flower or used the bark!

i have a Eucalyptus tree above my bee shed, when i were replacing the roof over the Xmas period i noticed that it was in flower and the bees was working the flowers well

I'm surrounded by Eucalyptus trees. The leaves & bark make great smoker fuel. Thats all I use. I would not however drink a bottle of Eucalyptus oil.

Yanta

Latest posts

Back