The very best smoker fuel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Apprentices

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
3 Modified Warre
And it,s free from nature, often called pulp or punk wood and a variety of other names, this 300 year beach now gives the beeman a further 20-50 years of free smoker fuel.

Sellect the lightest driest pieces of pulp, although damp or even sponge like parts will dry out if you hang them in a carrier bag suspended by a coat hanger, turning the contents from day to week, the driest bits you can use right away.

By the time the wood has reached this stage of decomposition all the natural resins will have been leached out and gives a clean burn which also prevents tarring inside the smoker.

Take dog for walk find tree and fuel for free, you may have to give said stump a boot to remove the outer bark which deflects the rain water, layer uncovering the goodies behind that trap the water in the annual growth rings.

Most can be pulled off with your fingers.

Happy smoking.

Fabric carrier bag hung in the greenhouse lets this wood dry out a treat, just add cuttings from my vine, trimmings from the lavendar bushes and a handful of crumpled hessian and there you are. The bees don't want to know but I quite like the resulting smell, and it sits happily round the corner from the hive while I inspect.

I sneak bits into the airing cupboard to dry.
Adding bay/rosemary/thyme to the top of the smoker makes it smell wonderful in the apiary.

Latest posts

Back