Estimate the cost

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe when global warming means it is too toasty and dry in Cyprus Norton? You could move to cider country and go for long beekeeping discussions in the pub with Hivemaker!

Hmm....

Depending on who you belive, either the apples will have gone and been replaced by sun flowers or if the atlantic conveyer gets turned off then artic tundra. I gather that in the last ice age the glaciers stopped just north of the Thames!

I prefer the sun flower option though it might play havoc with the availablity of scrumpy...

Should be interesting though!!

Your really more than welcome anytime Norton,but you would not be getting much peace.

Hivemaker,

I quite agree getting queens mated early in the season is so problematic in the UK. This is the reason why UK queens command a premium price over imported queens.

People contemplating early queen mating need to understand the relationship between when they see the first drones (on the comb) and first capped queen cells? This has a direct bearing on the earliest time of the year you could get qeens mated in your area.

I think it might be possible to get drones reared 2 maybee even 3 weeks earlier in the season but probably not much more. You'd have to have colonies in sheds and pamper them to get them up to strength.

If you did this you'd still come up against the main problem with the UK. As we are an island, the weather in April can be highly variable.

To get queens mated early you'd need to have a large number of colonies with drones in small area to get the drone population up to scratch and then you've still got the weather to contend with.

For example: my queens got mated in spurts this year and it was not unusual to have a queen in a nuc hive for 3-4 weeks before producing any eggs.

Just for info: I've not had any queens fail in the summer this year but I have found the odd colony with black queen cell virus.

But I have had a positive thought: As the pound has recently collapsed against the euro, the price of imported queens should go up which might help the queen rearing industry in the UK!!

Last edited:
Quite common to have drones at start of april.I would like them earlier.so by feeding pollen patties and supplying drone comb,plus one or two other methods i hope to do this.my intention is to rear queens for me,not for sale.

Last edited:
But I have had a positive thought: As the pound has recently collapsed against the euro, the price of imported queens should go up which might help the queen rearing industry in the UK!!

You have so much mating problems in UK that you should import drones from Cyprus.

Norton could sell drone nucs to UK. SuperSemen.

Last edited:
Good idea Finman,Whats the price of your drones Norton.better still just post us the semen.

Why have you queen breeders started talking about II (instrumental insemination) rather than AI (artificial insemination) now???

Hivemaker
better still just post us the semen.

WHAT A THING TO ASK A MAN?
Please refrase that statment or you will be ostracised to tuther side.
all the best mike

Latest posts

Back