Equipment Sales

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When does the Maisemore sale go on until? Trying to spread my purchases out as much as possible

Well got the 50 supers I was after and no stampede/scrummage! The biggest issue was the lack of handles for the carts - but had managed to get one of them early one too.

Well got the 50 supers I was after and no stampede/scrummage! The biggest issue was the lack of handles for the carts - but had managed to get one of them early one too.

Is that from thornes today?
They said they were implementing a queue - did everyone get some?
I'd seen the pics of the queue!

Yeah that was Thornes. There was a queue, but I got there early enough to be near the front. I doubt everyone in the queue would have managed to get thirds, but I suppose that's a risk you took by joining that queue rather than the other one for seconds.

I was going 2 get some but went 4 seconds.. I think nearly all got thirds that wanted them

Last edited:
So another question on this theme - Mann Lake are advertising their Black Friday sale... But not what's on sale! Is it just a % off every item?

Beware whatever the percentage reduction may be, incompatibility with other kit is an important consideration!

So another question on this theme - Mann Lake are advertising their Black Friday sale... But not what's on sale! Is it just a % off every item?

I am adopting "wait and see"...

For those looking at stocking up for next season, T's online sale is another option.
Usually starts in Jan and is similar price I think to seconds pre-ordered.

You may have to wait in the queue for delivery, and I think quite a bit of it is made up from seconds timber rather than post manufacture seconds. However it is all usable, and a lot cheaper than first quality.

Beware whatever the percentage reduction may be, incompatibility with other kit is an important consideration!

I think I know what your saying here and it's a really good point, but on behalf of all the new bees that your comment might confuse, it will be worth me making what you mean a little clearer.

Mann lakes 'National' standard bee hive items will be fully compatible with anyone elses 'National' standard products, and their 'Langstroth' fully compatible with anyone else's 'Langstroth' products, and their 'National Hybrid' fully compatible with anyone's elses 'National Hybrid', and their 'WBC' fully compatible with anyone else's 'WBC' products' and finally their 14x12 National with anyone else's 14x12 National products.

As with buying anywhere, Just make sure before you buy from any supplier, the right product to be compatible with your own setup and you'll be fine as there is bound to be compatibility problems for example when you buy say 'National Hybrid' parts to go with your Langstroth and so on - that goes for any supplier isn't it.

If your not sure before you buy, call or email the company your looking to buy from and ask them direct - don't just go off hearsay or what you see on a forum.

I did mean to answer this point earlier in the year in a previous thread but I've bought some of Mann lakes really cheap supers & broods for use on the mountain this year and they were fine with our existing National items and they are bloody brilliant for the money and much better quality than what other bee companies sell their seconds for. We won't be making our own from now on to replace any old, falling apart national hives, it's just not worth it with Mann lakes low national standard prices.

As with buying anywhere, Just make sure before you buy from any supplier, the right product to be compatible with your own setup and you'll be fine

I mentored a beginner last year and she rushed off and bought some Mann Lake "Hybrid Nationals" without consulting me. From what I saw, The woodwork was extremely poor, with large gaps where the wood around joints, etc where there should be none. Her National brood frames would not fit the brood box without modification either. In short, she regretted buying them and decided to use them as hive-stands which, IMHO, is about all they were good for.

I mentored a beginner last year and she rushed off and bought some Mann Lake "Hybrid Nationals" without consulting me. From what I saw, The woodwork was extremely poor, with large gaps where the wood around joints, etc where there should be none.
I noticed that the build quality left a lot to be desired at the spring convention this year

she regretted buying them and decided to use them as hive-stands which, IMHO, is about all they were good for.

Let's hope she doesn't get a very large honey yield then - they may not take the strain!!

Latest posts

Back