Equipment Sales

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daroco

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
With a few end of season sales imminent - are items at a sale day cheaper than if you pre-order? Hoping to pick up some bargains, but if there's no extra benefit I'm beginning to think it might be cheaper to go with the free delivery options

Some places have extra deals you can only get when you go to the saleroom, some will only let you preorder for collection on the day.

Was following this thread as I am going to be setting up for next season. Any chance of the info? Please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thornes have had a big scrummage where you're let loose on all the sale items at once - but it's like a violent jumble and if you're not bold you'll get nothing good. I am not keen on that sort of scramble and have failed to ever get any of the proper bargain stuff.
I'm sure some people do very well out of it.

Thornes have had a big scrummage where you're let loose on all the sale items at once - but it's like a violent jumble and if you're not bold you'll get nothing good. I am not keen on that sort of scramble and have failed to ever get any of the proper bargain stuff.
I'm sure some people do very well out of it.

We went to their open day last year unaware of how mad keen beekeepers could be for a bargain. In the January sales type scramble my then 10 year old lad got kicked (I presume accidentaly) then shouted at by some irate woman for getting in her way.
There are bargains to be had if you are a fast runner with sharp elbows, we won't go again though unless Thornes organise it better

That doesn't sound like my thing at all! I'll swerve that then!

I've pre ordered my sale stuff from thornes to pick up at Rand in October.... This doesn't involve a scrummage

I've pre ordered my sale stuff from thornes to pick up at Rand in October.... This doesn't involve a scrummage

No that bit doesn't!
It is very nice getting that bit and then going having a brew and cake in the cafe and a mooch round the shop. :)

It was the thirds that were really cheap that were in the frenzy.

So how does the scrummage work? Are all the cheap bits piled up outside?

Huge stacks of stuff piles up nicely outside in a big yard. I might have a photo.

Everyone has to stand back until the allotted time and then it's like a mad shark feeding attack.

So you can see where you need to go? Having not been before I was concerned I would miss out by not knowing where to head for the bargains!

Thanks for the heads up on their "early start". Ordered some poly hives online Wednesday night at sales prices. Fedex delivered 6 very large large boxes at 8:30 this morning (Friday). Just about to stick the first coat of paint on after lunch.

Thanks for the heads up on their "early start". Ordered some poly hives online Wednesday night at sales prices. Fedex delivered 6 very large large boxes at 8:30 this morning (Friday). Just about to stick the first coat of paint on after lunch.

I had trouble registering my details on the Web site, phoned and they were happy to sort the order over the phone. Within 24 hours the order was delivered. Excellent service.

Anybody else bought anything?

Last edited:
Maisie's sale started yesterday, put a small order in and just had an email saying that it will be delivered on a small pallet next Tuesday/Wednesday 0 perfick :D

Last time I dealt with Maisies they took well over a week and I had to ring them to find they hadn't got around to packing up my stuff yet.

Latest posts

Back