Entrance congestion

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
Would seem they need room as it's raining and everyone at home.

Attachments

• IMG_20170719_132328038.jpg
    IMG_20170719_132328038.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 134
Little more info for you.
They would move and reposition there selves as bees come and go. I did wonder if they where trying to regulate the inside of the hive. This is the only hive doing this and the only hive with the big entrance (old)

I have seen the odd one

First question is what type of floor? Second is what is the size of the opening? Looks tiny to me, for this time of the season.

I have hives that do that, and hives that don't.

I ignore it.

Definitely not getting hit hard by wasp! Will look closer this afternoon though. Size is about 6" by 1.5" solid floor.

solid floor.

In that case, check for air flow? In one side and out the other, I expect. Temperature will likely suffice.

Although solid it has little round cut out in two places that are covered with mesh, only about 2" Diameter. Would this still be the case ? With air flow and entrance build up?
They not doing it today.

One of mine was doing it today but it resembled a small swarm clinging to each other the full length inside the the top of the under floor entrance, the funny thing was though they left a bee space the full length of the entrance under the cluster to allow the flying bees to get in and out, i left them for two hours and they dispersed so i did not get a picture, what was that all about ? , i panicked a bit as i thought the Queen had popped out of the hive, they have plenty of space with 12 frames of brood on double brood and a open mesh floor.

I have hives that do that, and hives that don't.

I ignore it.

Ditto - typically nothing to worry about.

I've noticed it more often when there's been a drop in temperature or it's been raining. This one's on OMF.

Attachments

• IMAG1267.jpg
    IMAG1267.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
60c1ce1c9a2752ba529ef6c267318aa5.jpg

I had them do this too, dry day and I had put too many supers on and took one off in the sunshine as nothing drawn, obviously they were using the space though as they bearded when a rain shower came through and obviously the chilled bees claimed first dibs in the brood area to warm up. Late arrivals couldn't get in.

Had to give them the super back and they started drawing it the following week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back