Employers Liability insurance.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeeneil

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus 23 that I maintain for clients.
I decided after the last tranche of extraction that I might be tempted to employ a student or such like to help with the humping and sticky work, Maybe 10 days/year?
I thought I had better investigate Employers liability insurance so I spoke to the broker of the BFA and the best they could do was a 12 month policy for just under £200.
Anyone know of a company that might be a bit more competitive?

You could try a compare site.

I would imagine the NFA might have a policy for migrant workers short term.

Can you not find a local lad who would like to learn, or become a beekeeper???....kind of an unofficial apprentice???....give them a hive of their own...teach them to bring on their own bees....whilst helping you at the very busy time (you could always bung them a few quid on the sly).....then you're technically not employing someone... it's more of a two people with a shared interest????

Can you not find a local lad who would like to learn, or become a beekeeper???....kind of an unofficial apprentice???....give them a hive of their own...teach them to bring on their own bees....whilst helping you at the very busy time (you could always bung them a few quid on the sly).....then you're technically not employing someone... it's more of a two people with a shared interest????
Could be possible, but what if there’s an accident or they get stung , I think I would rather have that insurance for a few hundred pounds .
Im sort of in the same position as Neil but instead of having an employee two of the little guys have been helping me thankfully for me.

Could be possible, but what if there’s an accident or they get stung , I think I would rather have that insurance for a few hundred pounds .
Im sort of in the same position as Neil but instead of having an employee two of the little guys have been helping me thankfully for me.
The problem is always the chance of that accident and someone claiming and not being a limited company it becomes a personal claim.

As I was sorting out other insurances I though I would investigate ELI again. I went to 4 different companies/comparison sites and all said they didn't insure beekeepers and said I should speak to their brokers.
When , at last!, I managed to speak to one of them they said they didn't insure beekeepers due the risk. When I asked them what risks were the concerned about they couldn't define them!
Ok there is always a risk of anaphylaxis but the the number of claims on ELI must be minute! The rest of the cover for lifting, operating extraction equipment etc. must be much less than someone like a jobbing builder which is peanuts.
Oh well my dream of doing less extraction gets further away.... 😀
Oh I should say Hiscock did give me a quote the end of last year that was £200 but that is almost as much as I would be paying the guy for the 2-3 days/year! 😂

NFU provide ours, but it is included in the overall business insurance.

NFU provide ours, but it is included in the overall business insurance.
Yes I could probably get it in a package of product, public and employers liability but since the first two are covered by my BFA membership I would be doubly insured!
It’s the fact that most insurers see beekeeping as a high risk that surprises me.

There has been a little difference of opinion over the BFA insurance recently.
May be worth speaking to Luke @ Northumberland Honey.
You are welcome to call me tomorrow also.

Latest posts

Back