2011 Beekeeping Forum Photography Competition

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeboybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 >12 - 14x12 + Nucs
Now that the dark evenings are here i thought i might try and organize a beekeeping forum photography competition.
This is a rough outline to gather some suggestions at the moment.....

I Will start a new thread for the actual competition once some ideas have come to the surface!

1. We will think of 12 categories such as, “Beekeeping in the snow” “urban beekeeping” “Honey Extraction” “Swarms” etc

2. Each Forum member will be allowed to enter one photo in each of the 12 categories only.

3. All entries should be in by January the first.

4. Depending on the amount of photos i will need some volunteers to help make shortlists from each category.

5. After we have a short list i will post a Poll of the final images so Forum members can vote to decide the actual winning images.

Rules TBC
1. Have fun.

2. All images must be supplied at a certain resolution(TBC) so we don’t overload the servers.

3. All images must belong and have been taken by the forum members submitting them.

4. Prizes (every competition needs a prize!) Without raking over old ground about sponsorship, i was going to approach a few companies about some prizes, one idea i had was a well know photography supplier sell a great pouch for protecting compact cameras from dust/dirt/hone/propolis. also some book tokens might work. how do we all feel about this?

If this works out i hope next year we could possibly get our own calendars printed for members to buy? for this trial run i am hoping Admin will work some magic so that each of the 12 categories become a monthly header for the forum?

please let me know what you lot think so we can get moving on this

ta BeeBoyBee (sion):seeya:

"3. All entries should be in by January the first. "

look out TS are about!!!

Is that in before end dec 2011; in up until 31st dec 2011; in by jan 2011?

Can I ask if you have asked admin if it is ok to do this.

Admin is in the loop. we are waiting to see the general thoughts before progressing bee-smillie

Makes a nice change to be in the loop rather than in the poop..

Surely the top 12 prizes can be having the photo in the calendar? With top prize being the cover photo...

And how I would love to help judge.

Sounds fun - I would happily supply a picture to be thrown out...and any other help required!

Maybe this could be turned into an annual competition with the proceeds of the sale of calendars given to admin towards the cost of running the site.

I actually don't have many passable pictures as I've been very lazy with the camera. This is just what I need by way of a kick up the proverbial.

after a hectic day at work, its nice to get some positive posts on this idea, was thinking of starting the comp from next weekend, it would be nice to get some ideas from more users though.

speak soon bee-smillie

I don't think prizes as such are warranted really.
A calendar free to every winner.....so that would be 13 ..... should be reward enough,surely.
If the closing date is Jan 1st then with a bit of effort a completed calendar could be available by mid Feb. OK a bit late but I'm sure lots would still buy one. THEN run a similar competition every October to have a calendar ready for the following year?

nice idea photo in calender would be good enough prize :rolleyes:

I actually don't have many passable pictures as I've been very lazy with the camera. This is just what I need by way of a kick up the proverbial.

That's OK Erica, if you have a lack of spare kit, then there are more than enough saucy photogs on the forum that will leer their camera in your direction . . . in the interest of a calendar shot of course ( WI calender vision ) :)

You might get to keep your proverbial covered if you're lucky!

. . . You mean that I misunderstood what you actually said? drat.

Latest posts

Back