Email account hacked

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Comb

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10+
My account has been hacked and a begging letter has been sent to all contacts.
They also deleted all the contacts in my account!
Apologies if anyone with my email address has received the mail.

Thanx for the heads up!
This isn't the first time this as happened .
Usual line is ,I'm stranded in x y z and need urgent funds !
Oh! Yeah!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm a little paranoid about online passwords after I watched someone break a few popular sites a few years ago just to show it can be done.

I use a service called lastpass, which manages all your sites passwords and creates unique passwords for each site. When you log into a site you only need your lasspass password and it fills in the passwords it's generated.

It's also worthwhile if you use services like Google to turn on two step authentication which means google text you with a code if you want to change password or log on from another machine it's not seen before.

I also use yubikey but that's probably too far for most people.

It's also worthwhile if you use services like Google to turn on two step authentication which means google text you with a code if you want to change password or log on from another machine it's not seen before.
my thoughts are that they do that so as to get your phone number.

my thoughts are that they do that so as to get your phone number.

It's optional service, it does mean anyone trying to access your service from another device needs your phone to do it - so it's that extra level of security.

It's optional service, it does mean anyone trying to access your service from another device needs your phone to do it - so it's that extra level of security.

My wife was using hotmail and they said to her that she had to give a phone number so they could check who she was if needed.. if not she would be locked out. She changed to another provider.

My wife was using hotmail and they said to her that she had to give a phone number so they could check who she was if needed.. if not she would be locked out. She changed to another provider.

Had something similar with my first foray into faceachebook.
Within a week of reluctantly joining account suspended for no reason and to reactivate it they wanted copy of either picture drivers license or passport; yeah okay I'll send my bank details too!

"I'm a little paranoid about online passwords"

nothing to do with passwords - this is a virus/piece of malware that sends out emergency begging emails to all your contacts automatically then deletes contacts and mailbox contents.

My emails are forwarded from NTL through two other providers and then scooped up by the old version of Outlook. The NTL address book is empty.

yep a couple of people at work have had the same happen to their smart phones in the last 24hours to be aware of this to.

On similar topic.
This am. we got an email from SWMBO's sister, that was sent to all and sundry probably her address book, with just a website link.
Nothing else, not even the standard greeting etc or sign off. We didn't click on the link but who knows what would happen if one did!!
She uses WiFi at home, is that more prone to hacking than a bit of wire?
Being retired, broke and tight our PC is turned off at the wall when not in use, any other polite suggestions to prevent problems would be welcome.
We do have Norton anti-virus running on our system.

Tim

Mine came about because bt are switching from yahoo to bt login. Had various mails about it. I may have clicked on a corrupt link. I will never know.
Anyway, they mailed all my contacts asking for money and deleted my contact list so that I could not mail everyone to explain.
Also, they set up a divert on my account so that any replies to the mail went to them. Took me a couple of hours to realise this had occurred.

I am not aware of anyone falling for it and sending money, but bear in mind a lot of the people on the contact list are beekeepers!

I am not aware of anyone falling for it and sending money, but bear in mind a lot of the people on the contact list are beekeepers!

Any from Yorkshire? that would be the perfect storm for them.

:svengo:

Back