Electric extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Recomendations please for an electric drive extractor. I have only ever used a radial extractor and wonder should I consider tangential ?

Some say that tangential extractors cause less comb damage. But if you still have 2 hives and still have access to a radial extractor, I would recommend that you keep your cash in your pocket.

Last edited:
My friend just bought a konig 12 frame one from thornes. The legs are attached to the body. It won't fit through a normal size door with the legs on so he has to remove a leg of the extractor before he can clean it. Something to be wary about!!!!!
E

My friend just bought a konig 12 frame one from thornes. The legs are attached to the body. It won't fit through a normal size door with the legs on so he has to remove a leg of the extractor before he can clean it. Something to be wary about!!!!!
E

That is good point to watch out for Enrico.
I have an Abelo 20 frame radial and it will fit through my doors.
Their 30 frame won't...

With only 2 hives, an electric extractor is a luxury.

Recomendations please for an electric drive extractor. I have only ever used a radial extractor and wonder should I consider tangential ?

Tangential would only be relevant if you were going to extract the local heather honey (which you may be interested in), but then you would need a way of liquefying the thixotropic honey.

Next on my wish list is a heather loosener and they arent cheap.

I've just ordered a 24 frame radial/6 swing cage extractor from Abelo. Not coming until September though.

An electric extractor is a bit of overkill for 2 hives, but if you do get one dont go for a cheap one they dont last

Next on my wish list is a heather loosener and they arent cheap.

Been playing with this idea (and cost) for ages...every spring I have tons of last years empty frames from cutting out and extracting heather honey...And I worry that I don't have enough drawn super frames for this years harvest.....And every early summer I find all the new comb I put in the empty frames is drawn and has already been filled and extracted....and ready for use again.
I'd be interested to know how much more honey I would have got if all the spring frames were already drawn.

Well my wife is offering so how can I refuse.
I have done 2 splits this spring so might end up with 4 hives yet.

Well my wife is offering so how can I refuse.
I have done 2 splits this spring so might end up with 4 hives yet.

I had 4 hives last year, spun out 260lb of honey with a Giordan 8 frame electric extractor, it was my first honey and a long day, I wouldn’t have wanted to do the extraction by hand. Yes you could say it’s a luxury, but why not, we surround ourselves with much more frivolous luxuries. For me beekeeping is a luxury, really enjoyable, not necessary and I spend far more than it returns. So buy it and enjoy it.

Last edited:
Well said Nick......you only live once, if you can afford it then go for it
E

Spot on Enrico....an electric extractor (to me) is a necessity...not a luxury....tired of sitting on an old manual one trying to stop it roaming around the room until the weight in the frames equalised out.

I can' understand the penny pinching..we produce a luxury product that can be sold for money.... 1 super of honey should return about £100.
What do other keepers do with their honey money?
I invest mine in new shiny equipment.

A couple of years ago I bought a 4 frame electric radial extractor from Park Beekeeping. The cost was preferable to wrecking my arm and shoulder, as I did the previous year, manually spinning out honey that was reluctant to leave the comb.
Yes, it was expensive but my bees more than pay for themselves and extractors hold their value.

We bought a second hand Giordan 8 frame electric extractor, needs new drill but for less than £200 it can be worth looking around for good second hand kit.
And made extracting 14 frames a doddle, and looks like its going to get quite a bit more work this year so will pay for its self in long run, plus a good quality one will always have resale value.

Latest posts

Back