Electric Extractor advice please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good review of the Saf 9 frame radial with optional tangential here.

https://www.theapiarist.org/saf-natura-extractor/
Not sure on cost now but the review has it at £620, which seems good value.

I on the other hand will make do with the association extractor and see if I can burn out another drill turning it.

I like my 9 frame extractor for just that reason.👍
I have a mentee this year who just cannot understand how you balance a nine frame extractor if you have lfull and part full frames, despite showing her several time ..twice i have left her in charge while i make a cup of tea to find the extractoer shaking itself to bits and dancing around the floor

A faff, and it won't work on all cappings. I'll stick to the knife thanks
I have used an electric heat gun for years and most of the time is very effective. Occasionally there are frames that have to be sliced with a knife but not many. I think it is important to keep the fames upright during transport. There is normally a small air pocket beneath the capping which keeps the honey away from the wax. If honey touches the capping it becomes wet and will no longer 'pop away' when heated. White looking cappings are needed for this method to work. BTW - important to have a heat gun anyway to clean brood boxes of propolis etc when they are out of use. I always give a blast over the inside of the box to kill any bugs that may be there.

Have limited experience with uncapping but I tried a heat gun, was ok but slow. I have mostly Manley's, found the best thing was the uncapping fork. But seemed to make the filtering a bit slower, lots of small pieces of wax in the filter

My konlgin 12 frame extractor arrived today !
everything in Hungarian. .
thornes include English instructions on a memory stick .
I can now see why the drum although large diameter has such a poor honey capacity.
the conical base is convex thus reducing the capacity . In order to be all things to all people ,means the depth of the cage is deeper than necessary to accommodate langys commercial etc. Yet is requires screens to Handle 14x12s .
when extracting BS shallows , it would be simple to raise the cage on its spindle as there is quite a bit of space above the the cage , thus increasing the size of the honey reservoir!
I wouldn’t do this however without permission.

I’ve ordered the Konigin 12 Frame should arrive Wednesday.
. I've measured the door width on my honey house . It should fit with ease .
thanks for the tip .
I couldn’t resist the extra capacity for a mere £15 .
We got the 12 frame Konigen last year - it went through a standard house door without the legs on - we had to add the legs on once inside. Really easy to assemble though, so didn’t view this as a problem. Best wishes

Have you considered the Logar extractors from Modern Beekeeping.

We have been really impressed by ours, we were sold by the fact that the bottom is one solid piece and completely sloped.

What’s the consensus on hot air gun uncapping. My hands kill after extracting, but a fair trade for all the lovely honey
I always use a hot air gun, clean and quick, I keep a knife handy for any bruised cappings which are rare

Here is another point to consider. If you have sufficient number of hives to justify purchase of an electric extractor then it will be worthwhile to convert supers from ten to nine frames , using 9 frame castellations. Fewer frames loaded with larger quantity of Honey are easier and quicker to extract and better for the bees , probably. My mentor who produces about a ton of Honey per year favours this method.

Was building some supers for next year and had some castellations so have done that to give it a go next year

So Abelo (Lyson) have given a good deal on their premium 20, v the Konigen - still more but closer in price.

Difficult to tell from the pictures but looks like the Lyson is slightly better quality, reading around less grumbles in chatter as well. Konigen seem popular and a good price point but with a few niggles.

Konigen in stock, Lyson on 4 week lead.

Never easy. Has anyone seen both Konigen and Lyson to direct compare?

So Abelo (Lyson) have given a good deal on their premium 20, v the Konigen - still more but closer in price.

Difficult to tell from the pictures but looks like the Lyson is slightly better quality, reading around less grumbles in chatter as well. Konigen seem popular and a good price point but with a few niggles.

Konigen in stock, Lyson on 4 week lead.

Never easy. Has anyone seen both Konigen and Lyson to direct compare?
Sorry no, But I do have a Lyson Premium 20 and can't fault it. smooth running and quiet - the motor fixed on the underside is a much better option. It laso takes about 12 brood frames radially if you need to - I'd still haggle for radial screens though

Last edited:
- I'd still haggle for radial screens though
I assume JBM means tangential screens since the machine is radial?
I was lucky with my 12 frame Konigin from Thornes, they put the tangential screens in with the machine without me asking but they have been very useful when extracting from 14x12 brood frames.
The Konigin extracts 12 DN1 brood frames radially

Latest posts

Back